Speakers to accompany Onkyo TX-SR505 - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MarkP73, Jan 12, 2008.

1. MarkP73

MarkP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying an Onkyo TX-SR505 AV reciever (I believe this is a good choice at the price - although please comment) but I'm not sure what speakers to put with it. Does anybody have any obvious suggestions? My budget is £300.

Alternatively, I currently have a pair of Wharfdale delta 30's and a pair of Goodmans Maxims. Could I just purchase a sub and centre and get reasonable results or do I really need to buy the whole system?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. googlebox99

googlebox99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would recommend the Jamo a102 set, which is terrific value and sounds great through my Onkyo.

3. ukbandit

ukbandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    im getting the jamo ones too (golddust at the moment) to pair with my 605 :)

4. MarkP73

MarkP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'll take a look at the Jamos. I was also considering the Wharfedale diamond 9's as they appear to have had good reviews.

5. kingbal

kingbal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Im in the same boat as you.. about to buy an Onkyo 505 (although i've changed my mind to the sony dg 910).

Anyhow, Ive currently just got a 2 channel setup and using a pair of monitor audio b2s, they sound very punchy and loud how i like it.

I can't help thinking if i bought the jamo's they won't be very loud/punchy when listening to music.

Which then brings me onto the diamonds 0 which i could see being very powerful musically but its a lot of speakers to stuff in my one room.

Any jamo owners listen to music frequently on them?

6. ellisbailey

ellisbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I bought a set of Jamo`s after reading loads of glowing reports from owners here.

I am very impressed with them and they look great.

I listen to plenty of music through them and although I am not a hi-fi nut/audiophile (whatever the word is), they sound great to me and others who have listened to them.

I could not find them anywhere so ended up paying the full rrp from a sony shop - 250, but at least I got to walk out with them there and then. :)

7. kingbal

kingbal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Just out of curiosity, how bigs your room? Mines 5mx4m and i want it filled with sound!

8. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It's worth considering the Cantons here in the powerbuy thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195561

Plenty of forum members are happy with these packages.

But as per the previous posters, the Jamos are definitely hot and there are also many satisfied Jamo owners on these forums. Problem is they are like gold dust. I've had my Amp for over a week still in it's box and I'm trying to source some Jamos.

But if I can't find some soon I can see myself going for some Cantons.

If you can push a touch over £300 to £330 there are the Wharfdale Diamonds available here and they are very highly rated too (can't vouch for this retailer though, never used them myself):

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?W...d1ae688b47798c6606d9a5e90638dd0694bd070dd5f66