Speakers to accompany Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DazJWood, Jun 13, 2002.

1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Denon 3802 Amp and am now looking for the ideal speakers to use with this.

I will be using the speakers mainly for movies (85%) but still would like them to perform well for music although this is not as important.

I have been looking at these speaker packages :

Kef KHT-2005 £700
    Mission FS2-AV £369

I have an added problem that where I want to place my right front speaker I have limited space as my front door is at this position. This gives my a space of around 25cms between the room and the door to accomodate a speaker. This is why I have been looking at these speakers as they are compact and would fit in this small space.

Can people please give me any advice regarding these speakers?

With the price difference I am tempted to go for the Mission speakers (as I fairly short on funds). I have read reviews on the Missions that indicate they are excellent for movies but slightly lacking in the music performance. This may be ok for my purposes but I would like to know of anyone's experiences with these speakers and how anyone thinks they perform?

I know the Kefs have received very good reviews whereever I look and my preference would be for these if it weren't for the huge price difference. Anyone know where I might by them interest free?

If anyone has any suggestions for other speaker systems then please let me know. Size is obviously important as I have mentioned above to achieve the right stereo seperation I am restricted to a speaker of width around 20cms.

Also, I would like to make use of the DTS-ES that is a feature of the amp, so ideally at some point would like to add maybe two centre rears. Does anyone know which ones I should use to compliment any of the speaker systems I have suggested. I believe you can actually purchase extra Mission fs2-av and kef kht-2005 speakers, but does anyone know where?

Thanks in advance for your help!!??

Daz

2. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Missions (and a 3802) and they are great for movies (IMO), some people have said they sound a bit flat but I think they are great, depends what you are looking for and willing to pay I suppose. Try to demo both although dealers have a very bad rep for giving good Mission demo's.

Do a search for FS2-AV in this forum as there have been quite a few threads recently on this very same subject and most of the info you will need are in there. (There was a good one started by Emanef a few weeks ago).

Size wise both will fit but I think the Missions are a lot easier to wallmount than the Kefs and speaker placement is not as important due to the way they work.

Some prefer the Kef, others the Missions. there really isn't that much between them and for the price the Missions are hard to beat (all cable, wall brackets etc are included in the box).

I dont really listen to music through them but that is also answered in one of the other threads.

3. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The B&W vm1 set might be worth a look.

4. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or the Boston Acoustics Micro 90, found at a reasonable price at www.mediacheckpoint.com, Germany (Haven´t found any good UK prices). Massive sound for movies and outstanding quality (cast alluminium).

5. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are the Micro 90's like with music?

6. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good for it´s size, but as with all small speakers you need a good subwoofer to support them.