Speakers thud/bang

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Debs67, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I'm watching a DVD and I fast forward or change chapter,my front speakers make a bang or a hard thud sound.
    I have a Philips DVDR890.
    My fronts are Diamond 9.5's (30-24khz) and I have the crossover on my receiver (Yamaha RXV-650) set at 80hz.
    This is not heard in my subwoofer or surround speakers and only happens while "fast forwarding" or "re-winding" the DVD's.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be dodgy muting. When you FF or rewind, the picture remains and is sped up. The sound (unlike audio cueing) is not. The bump or pop noise that you hear could be a bid of soundtrack breaking through for a few milliseconds.

It's probably nothing serious unless you get a very loud bang which can damage speakers especially if they are cheap and nasty SE Asian ones. British made speakers are usually tough enough to cope with such "sonic attacks." I have had a pair of Celestion Ditton speakers since 1982 and one blew a tweeter when it was only a week old, but apart from that, they have been faultless.

3. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the imput!
    I may have it sorted. I think I confused the volume level with the speaker (decibel) levels (newbie! :oops: )and I had the fronts decibel level quite high. :suicide:
    I haven't had the chance to check it properly with a DVD as my husband is hogging the TV for his football at the moment! :boring:
    But I lowered the speaker levels (while he was watching his footie)and saw that the volume hardly changed,so realised that that was probably the problem!
    I'll check it out tomorrow!
    Thanks again!

4. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No luck,it's still happening... :thumbsdow