1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speakers - set to "large" or "small"?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cliveg, Jan 2, 2004.

1. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the Infinity Oreus speaker package connected to a Pioneer VSX C501 amp.

When I set it all up with MCACC, it reads the fronts - L, R and C - as "large" and the rear surrounds as "small".

Now when it sets the fronts to "large" I don't have the subwoofer options available for 100 / 150 / 200htz...only what's called "LS", which gives more bass(?)

If I manually change the fronts to "small" to match the rears, those options are available again.

My question is should I leave the fronts as "large" - as per MCACC - or should I manually change them to match the rears :confused:

...and what is the significance of "small" and "large"?...the fronts are on stands, the rears are mounted to the walls.

Any help would be appreciated :smashin:

Thanks,

CliveG

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    With speakers set to small all bass is diverted to the subwoofer. As your speakers are satellites and don't go low enough to handle bass they should be set as small with the subwoofer crossover on it's lowest setting of 100 Hz

3. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering about "small" and "large", does anyone know what the crossover frequency is on small becasue i have some speakers rated at 55hz and some at 65hz and dont know what to set them to small or large

James

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It depends on the processor/receiver but generally "Smalls" will crossover at 80hz but may well have an option to change the crosover point to 40hz, 60hz or 100hz. In years of mucking around I've found that for me 80hz works really well for movies as the subwoofer is working more of the time and so isn't distractiong when it "cuts in".

For this reason I'm going away from "full range" speakers as the lower end ability is largly redundant.

Most floor standers won't cope well down below 45hz or so and that means with the speakers set to LARGE on the processor some low end effects directed at the mains may be missed.

Mark.