Speakers & Room treatment for Rotel RB-1582MKII

PolarPacific

Novice Member
Hi All. Newbie here. I would like your advice/opinion on getting a good sound experience.

I have:
  • B&W DM603 S2 speakers (from 1999) bi-wired to
  • Rotel RB-1582 MKII 200W Power amp
  • RC-1572 MKII Pre-amp.

Initially I used Marantz PM8006 that subjectively lacked power to drive 603s and I had to use EQ.

With Rotel the sound has improved. High-res files on Rotel are much more detailed with more natural voice presentation. I don’t use EQ anymore. However still the sound lacks depth and stage. With CDs everything is even worse: flat and lifeless 😓

Music sources:
  • Rotel RCD-991
  • MacBook Pro connected to Pre-amp via PC-USB 2.0 with a collection of DSD files (via Audirvana).
Cables:
  • QED Revelation Signature (HF),
  • QED Ruby Anniversary Evolution (LF),
  • XLR cables for connecting Pre-amp to Power
  • Tosllink connecting CD Player to pre-amp.
Room is 25 sq.meters (6x4 m), ceiling height 2,6 m with real height of 2,4 (plasterboard is used).
Tile floor with carpet and one wall (6 m) is a panoramic glass.

Maybe it’s time to upgrade the speakers?
Or maybe the room is the key factor for my underwhelming music experience?

Would be thankful for suggestions 👍

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
A diagram or photo of your room would help diagnose potential issues. Lack of soundstage is often due to positioning of speaker wrt listening position, walls and toe in, a couple of hour experimenting may bring about free benefits. Also, it may be the music you listen to that may be mastered for radio rather than Hifi listening, what music do you like?

PolarPacific

Novice Member
Thank you for your feedback, Ugg10!
Please find attached the diagram of the room.

As for the music, that's my experience so far:

1) Sounded best (bust still lacked weight in the lower frequencies and expansion):
Random Access Memories by Daft Punk (DSD 128), Mozart Violin Concertos (DSD 64), Love Over Gold by Dire Straits (DSD 64), Queen and Norah Jones.

2) Sounded flat and lifeless: all the CDs like David Bowie's Reality and Heathen, ELO's Balance of Power, Peter Gabriel's UP, etc...

Could it be that I am just trying to get a higher class audio experience from my ordinary speakers? I really enjoyed DM603 in the beginning. Bought them very cheap after Canton Chrono 507.2 and Yamaha integrated haven't provided the kind of sound I expected.

But I'm thinking of maybe DM 603s are 'bottlenecks' of my system and are simply not capable of reproducing that lower high quality register that gives music its depth due to the Frequency Response of only 48Hz?

Apologies for naive questions, this is the first time I have decided to ask for advice... It's just that I am lost.

I appreciate your help, Ugg10!
room_plan.png

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Having one speaker firing into the end of the sofa may not be helping and May unbalance the sound stage a bit. Also Daft Punk and direstraight are some of the best engineered tracks again this will help those tracks sound good.

id the right hand side all glass, if so does it have curtains and if so does it sound different with the curtains closed?

PolarPacific

Novice Member
Yes, unfortunately there are a lot of glass elements in the room: marked red on the plan (the glass window wall on the right and corner glass door on the left). Looks nice, but probably it's killing the sound ;)

Haven't tried putting a curtain yet. Maybe the sound will improve. Also a good point about the sofa. Will try experimenting with the positioning as you have suggested earlier. Thank you!
glass_elements_in_red.png

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Worth trying stuff even if it is temporary to find out issues. If there is no rug between the speakers and sofa try putting a duvet on the floor to see if that will help.

acgingersnaps

But I'm thinking of maybe DM 603s are 'bottlenecks' of my system
These, along with the room issues mentioned above, are the main issues imho. The Marantz 8006 is a far better amp than the 603's are speakers and should have been able to dive them, and far more capable speakers as well, with ease.

PolarPacific

Novice Member
These, along with the room issues mentioned above, are the main issues imho. The Marantz 8006 is a far better amp than the 603's are speakers and should have been able to dive them, and far more capable speakers as well, with ease.
Thank you for your opinion!

I have tried fixing some room issues with curtains and duvet, but still... The sound is dull and weak. Listening to HDCD of Prokofiev I was wondering how the piano could have sounded deeper with a better speakers. Maybe it's my imagination ;)

Now it's time for me to decide which speakers will be good for the combo of Rotel RB-1582 & RC-1572.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom