1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers, Positioning & Connections

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SimonD, Jan 1, 2003.

1. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to all this Home Cinema stuff but I'm slowly getting to grips with the "ideal requirements" I don't intend to be using the system for music, I have a Denon DM30 for that, which is ideal for our requirements (I tend to have music as background sound, I never actually sit down and just listen to it! The DM30 will be in the same room as the TV)

I have a "blank canvas" to work with in the room and need to think about preparing the walls for cabling and have a few questions...

Using the theory "fronts should be at ear level and separated by the same distance as the viewer is from the screen" (I'm sure I read that somewhere)
    This puts the front 2 speakers each in the middle of a doorway!

Q1) Would I be better off increasing the separation, decreasing the separation or raising the speakers into the wall space above the doorway??

Q2) I understand the ideal position is for the rears to be along side the listener, is it a real problem for them to be mounted on the wall behind? and is the separation the same as the fronts?

Q3) SWMBO likes the look of the Wharfdale LoudPanel speakers (The ones that look like picture frames) are these a complete no-no for a 5.1 setup or would they be ok for the fronts and/or the rears?

Q4) Does anybody produce speaker connection boxes which can be flush mounted like mains sockets, I have not seen any? Will they cause any problems?

Any comments welcome
    Thanks
    Simon

2. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED produce flush mounted speaker connection boxes. I spent most of yesterday carving through brickwork to fit mine!

3. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks, will investigate.... Were they expensive? Where did you buy them from?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Q1) What works best for the experts/audiophiles in their test area is rarely possible in the average livingroom :rolleyes: . Set your fronts at ear height and get the seperation as close to the ideal as possible in your case. Some speakers work better further apart, but you can toe them in to your listening position. Try to get the imaginary sound crossover spot to be where you sit (like cross-your-heart bras :D )

Q2) They can go behind you, but if too close can overpower. For dipoles/bipoles they can go closer, direct radiating (normal bookshelf) try poiting them at wall and using rebounding sound. For Wharfedale Loud Panels.....

Q3) .......I have a set (wife was adament and loved decorating the surface too) which are placed right behind my head, about 2 feet up and about 3 feet apart. The little sub goes easily under an occasional table. They fill in the rear soundstage very nicely and don't sound overbearing as they are not as sensitive as normal speakers and don't blast away inches behind your head. I like 'em enough to let the wife have her way. A mate came round last night who has Mission M7DS bipoles and he was impressed too. :) Only thing if you get them, get some thin, long speaker cable yourself. The leads in the box are crappy and much too short. I use QED Micro.

5. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XIO,

Yikes! £15 each! :eek:

Can anyone give me a good reason not to make some???....

Sockets 2 @ 49p each
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?moduleno=1444

Blanking plate 1 @ 79p
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?moduleno=1239

Would these sockets be significantly inferior??

Nobber,

Q1) I realised I wasn't going to get the optimum. The "optimum" position is smack bang in the middle of the door! I guess closer would be better but it does make them only 1400mm apart :(
    At least they wouldn't end up behind a door when the misses leaves the door open! :rolleyes:
    Q2) Any reason you say thin speaker cable? I will be sinking the cable into the wall so size doesn't matter :D

7. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, loads cheaper, but they seem to be trying to claw it back with the price of the banana plugs ;)

To be honest, I obviously didn't look hard enough. Sockets came to £100 (!) 4x paired and 2x quad sockets. Suppose it roughly equated to my discount on the whole setup so I bought anyway.

Making sockets looks like trouble to me - I doubt you could just use a blank plate as it'd snapp and break when you drilled it or put pressure on it. The other (c £5) ones look fine though.

9. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Time to start laying out the room I think!