1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speakers "overdriven" clarification please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, May 13, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i currently have 3802 doing processing and sterio duties ,981 130watts drives fronts, 985mk1 drives center and surrounds 100watts,

a couple of weeks ago i sent my cdm1nts back to b&W after they had previously changed one tweeter for me,
    (this was due to a curtain pole slipping and striking tweeter enclosure,knocking of protective tweeter cover and slightly grazing tweeter, after giving speakers a fortnight to run in at modest volumes with tuner, i still felt speakers were less smooth sounding than before , hence my return of speakers back to b&W service dept.

this morning recieved call re cdm1nts, from b&W that they thought (speakers had been overdriven) i take this to mean excessive volume has been used, which is not the case speakers are set to small+sub allset up with spl to -75, normall volume with cd/sterio is about -30db max and with a dvd with lotr or gladiator would use -24db max for my room, i only play the very occasional dvd in relation to cd usage.

i also have another pair of speakers same specs as cdms same size drivers, etc as cdms and in the past with sterio amp have had at far higher volumes than with cdms without trouble,

so not sure what the term (overdriven ) really refers to -to great a volume used ,??? or something else thank you

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Your more likely to damage speakers by underdriving them with a weedy amp pushed to clip the frequency extremes. Doesnt sound like you have over driven them but they are the experts I suppose. I demod a set a CDM's yesterday with a denon 3803 and I had them up to about -20db with a dvd and almost the same with cd's and I didnt feel they were being pushed.