1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speakers or pictures

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by damien, Jan 7, 2003.

1. damien

damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi people i am looking to upgrade my home cinema speakers and i have been looking at a pair of rear speakers from richer sounds they are quite odd as they are a pair of picture frames ??? are these desighns any good ???

2. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a pair of Wharfdale loudpanels. They were bought from RS so I guess their the same ones.

Personally I think you could spend the money on something better.

Although I am more than happy with these speakers, they are used for background music in my conservatory.

I have changed the frames, as the ones that come in the package look exceptionally cheap. I have also changed the speaker cable to QED Micro.

All that said, they are inconspicuous and offer a good alternative to standard bookshelf speakers. I just don't think you will get the desired quality offered by other boxes.

Hope this helps.
    Stace

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Agreed, although, i would've typed the above comments in Bold figures, underlined it twice & put 123 aster's around it!

'Picture' speakers...............a compromise to 'er indoors perhaps?

Adzman

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my view, flat speakers are interesting, but not a real competitor to conventional ones - they need a sub woofer to be at all convincing.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The LoudPanels from RS do come with a sub to fill in the lowend. I use a pair for my rears and would rate them 10 out of 10 or WAF (as Ian says), but only 3 out of 10 for sound.

6. damien

damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not really a hardcore home cinema buff so would they be good enough for the rear home cinema????? my kit sony dvpns700 dvd player sherwood 6103 amp sony 32 inch tv and limit pb 583 egg speakers simular to kef eggs except not as well made or sound as good or look as good

7. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Damien,

If your not fussy, these speakers will be more than adequate. They come with a subwoofer and after 'running' them in they sound pretty good (for the money!!!)

These speakers originally cost around the 400 mark but bear in mind you are paying for the technology.

As I said previously, I use these speakers in my conservatory. They are only used for background music and I throw all sorts at them. I can't really say they've dissapointed me yet but that has alot to do with the fact they fit in with the fixtures and fittings.

I still stand by my statement that money can definately be better spent.

Think about your requirements, if, like most of us (even though they will all disagree!!!) you are dictated to by the better half, they make a good compromise.

If you don't have to abide to that classic novel 'The Marriage Guide to Home AV' then go for standard boxes, it makes more sense in the long run.

Believe it or not, I actually chose these. I already had a good looking pair of speakers that came with the mini system, but as my better half has to put up with the floorstanders and sub in the living room I thought if I went down the discreet route she would give me a pass to use on upgrading the living room :D !!!

How nieve one can be.........

Stace :D

8. damien

damien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ta m8