Question Speakers or amp broken?

jkdb63

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So yesterday I tested my subwoofers with a 9v battery.
They both are 800w RMS 8ohm subwoofers connected in parallel.
I held the 9v battery onto the terminals multiple times for at most 3-4 seconds at a time.

I also tested my amp (Behringer EP4000, operating in bridged mode) WITHOUT any speakers connected for about probably
5-10 minutes, I also drove it into clipping as that was what I wanted to prevent by lowering the input volume.

Now my problem is that those 2 subwoofers sound a little quieter (not much, but it is noticable), what could be the
most likely cause of this, having tested those subs with that 9v battery or running the amp without any speakers connected?

Thanks in advance! :)

-Daan

Amplifier Specs:
https://media63.music-group.com/media/sys_master/h27/haf/8849441357854.pdf

Subwoofer Specs (LX-18B(E)):
Wharfedale Pro LX Seroes User Manual (Page 9 of 18)

Neither is likely to have caused any damage. What's more likely is that you have changed a mode or a gain without realising it and this fooling you into thinking something is damaged.

It's worth checking that you have wired them back up correctly - in phase, as this will cause a significant drop in level.

I wired them back together the same way it was before, and they are in phase. I did switch off the clip limiter though, but that doesn't really seem like the issue to me. Or could I be wrong about that?

I don't know how the clip limiter works, but I would be using it for running subs, as distortion is harder to hear.

it basically lowers the volume a little when it thinks it's going to clip, but since I switched it off I don't think that would be the problem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom