Speakers on wooden floor

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mrj27, Sep 3, 2012.

1. mrj27

mrj27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have done a bit of online research on this and am confused by the variety of opinios... Grateful for any help!

I have some large Mission speakers which previously sat on spiked stands in a carpeted room.

New lounge has a wooden floor and the wife has decided that the speakers can't be 'up' and will need to sit on the floor. I've bought a couple of granite work surfaces and rubber feet to go under them, but am wondering if this will do the job?

Thanks in advance.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    That doesn't sound like a problem. With wood floors there are two concerns.

One that they are floating. That is, there is a layer of cushion between the upper-floor and the sub-floor. This cushion can cause the floor to resonant in unwanted ways.

Two that the Spikes, if you use them, will scratch the wood floors.

You've, within limits, solved both problems. The Granite work surfaces will allow you to use spike if you so desire, and the rubber feet will provide a degree of insulation reducing sound being driven down into the floors.

It might also help if you cover the underside of the Granite plinths with a thin layer of FELT. Most fabric or hobby store have a variety of color of 'peel 'n' stick self-adhesive Felt Sheets. That also provide an extra layer of acoustical insulate between the speakers and the floor. Yet is thin enough and dense enough to prevent the speakers from being wobbly.

I think you are on the right track, and it will just take a bit of ingenuity to solve your particular problem. Though it seems you have a good start on it.

Steve/bluewizard

3. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    What's under the floor ? Concrete or joists ?

4. mrj27

mrj27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Many thanks for taking the time to put together such a considered and helpful reply. I will add some felt to the mix. Is it worth putting coins between speaker and granite, as some suggest, or is this unnecessary / unhelpful?

Good Q re. the underfloor - we've recently moved so I haven't actually checked. My assumption is that it's concrete or stone, as we are the basement flat in a Victorian building.

Mark

5. Wavod

Wavod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Do the spiked stands have removable spikes,or are they fixed?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. mrj27

mrj27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No spiked stands at present. The ones I was using in the old house are sadly to tall and I will need to get rid.