Speakers on their sides

Supersonic

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing to mount some surround and 'back' surround speakers in a 7.1 setup and would appreciate some advice on speaker orientiation please.

Has anyone here mounted their bookshelf or standmount speakers on their sides? Did it cause any problems and how did you mount them? Did it do anything weird to the sound?

My main sofa is on a back wall and I'm considering wall mounting the surround speakers, with the 'normal' surrounds on brackets or shelves and the rear surrounds on the back wall but on their sides, so to speak.

Cheers.

I have three identical speakers at the front but the "centre" is turned on it's side otherwise it wouldn't fit in the rack.

Supersonic said:
I'm preparing to mount some surround and 'back' surround speakers in a 7.1 setup and would appreciate some advice on speaker orientiation please.

Has anyone here mounted their bookshelf or standmount speakers on their sides? Did it cause any problems and how did you mount them? Did it do anything weird to the sound?

My main sofa is on a back wall and I'm considering wall mounting the surround speakers, with the 'normal' surrounds on brackets or shelves and the rear surrounds on the back wall but on their sides, so to speak.

Cheers.

All 6 standmount speakers on my 6.1 system are on their sides and it works very well for me. I have 'centre channel speakers' as the front and rear centres so the system probably matches up better like this anyway :)

I am going for an 'LCR' option on my front speakers: Effectively 3 identical speakers with the centre on it side (as in Ian J's case). In my case the only issue is an offset tweeter so there is a 'recommended way up' for both centre and left/right to get the desired sound stage.

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful.

In the meantime I've had a reply back from Acoustic Energy saying the Evo 1s can be placed on their sides no problem. As they're rear-ported, they naturally don't recommend wall brackets (too close to the wall). I do have a couple of foam port bungs just in case I need them and they're surround speakers after all, so shouldn't be doing too much in the way of bass production.

Guess I'll just have to try it and see!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom