1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers on PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by berry, Nov 27, 2003.

1. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just getting my video connections sorted out for the new PWD6 but also need some help on audio...

When watching DVD and films on cable I'll be using my AV amp and 5.1 sound.

However, when watching say, the news, I'd rather switch the plasma on and use the built in amplifier connected to Left and Right speakers (i.e. do not want to worry about the AV amp). The question is, can I use the same set of Left and Right speakers I use for the AV amp (connected via say, a speaker switch box)?

I have front speakers which have an 4-8 ohm impedance and are shielded.

Is there a risk of damaging the plasma or the speakers?

P.S. I know I can buy optional Panasonic speakers but do not feel able to justify this and nor do I want two more speakers in the room.

Comments or other ideas appreciated.

berry

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No reason why not, I don't think there's a problem if you can switch inputs. But most speaker switches are not set up for this, usually switch 2 sets of speakers from 1 amp, not 1 set from 2 amps. That's the challenge. I don't think your plasma amp will damage your cinema amp, but not so sure the other way round, as of course while the plasma is on so is the amp. It will also be very complicated remote wise, are you using a universal? My AV amp does everything, it's on now, Chuckle brothes at 8ft across is pretty scary actually. You don't really notice pro logic working when it's done well, it just kind of happens and you get used to it. So if it seems too much of a challenge, don't worry, after all you won't hear it working while the newsreaders are speaking, it'll all come out of the centre, or should do!

3. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of doing a similar thing berry so I didn't have to have the amp on the whole time and It would be more gf friendly. The only pain in the ass is having to keep changing the speaker wires over.
    How are you connecting your sky/freeview to your plasma,?

4. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

Take your point about plasma amp being on whilst the plasma is on - what if I ensure the plasma volume is set to low (or off) when I use the AV amp (when watching DVD or cable)?

I've had the AV amp & speakers set up on my current TV for a few months and I used the TV speakers for news, casual viewing, etc. but switched on the amp only for movies, etc. My logic / question therefore is what's different about the plasma amp (apart from the fact that I'm sharing the 5.1 speakers with the AV amp as opposed to using integral TV speakers)?

As for remotes (I probably hold a world record for no. of remotes!!), I'll just use the AV remote to control volume when using the cinema sound and the panny remote for casual viewing.

By the way, I thought I saw some speaker switches which are for the purpose I'm seeking out (sharing one pair of speakers from two sources). Hope I haven't got this wrong - think I saw it on Maplins or possibly CPC; will need to re-check.

Finally MAW, I'd like to take this opportunity to say a public thank you for all your help in guiding me to set up my systems - I'm hoping to connect it all up over the next few days - just need to crack rigging the audio now!!

==============================================

whuuf,

Use of switch can't be that difficult? why change speaker wire over? I'll let you know if / when I find the right speaker control switch.

I have cable - not sky - and will use the QED active sync extractor (scart from cable STB) to plasma (into 15pin).

good luck with your set up.

==============================================

Would welcome all thoughts on the above (audio connection) gameplan.

cheers,

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't use the QED, it's more expensive and not as good as the JS tech version, and he's a forum sponsor...

6. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

Accept that the QED lead may not be upto the same standard as the JS but I managed to get this at a reduced price from someone who changed their connectivity (it was only used for 3-5 hours in total). Will review after I've set up all the kit and see how it goes. I have an agreement that I'll get a refund if I'm not satisfied.

On the speakers - any thoughts?

Here's a Maplin product that I'm thinking of:

Speaker Source Switch

" one set of speakers is used for two signal sources. Could be used to connect one set of speakers to both hi-fi and PC sound system, for example. Simple to use with built-in protection circuits. All connections are via screw terminals. Dimensions: 126 x 44 x 110mm. .."

It sells for £9.99. just wanted some comfort that it won't damage anything.

regards,

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not heard of this one, I'm sure it will be fine, solves your problem. There will be some theoretical degradation in the signal, a hi fi purist would turn up their nose, but most of us would never notice, so try it and see.