Speakers on a (very small) Budget

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BittenMailman, Sep 19, 2004.

1. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! :thumbsup:

I´ve bought a Denon ud-m31 receiver/cd player and now i´m searching for a good pair of speakers. The stereo system will be for a bedroom. Could anyone help me choose a good pair to go with the Denon? My budget is very small...Around 150£...I´ve heard good things about the Tannoy mx1-m, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 that fit in the budget. The Monitor Audio Bronze B1s are also good but a little over the budget. Should i wait and buy the b1s? Are they good with the Denon?

Many Thanks for your help! :)

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    2 words "richer sounds" got some good speakers in that range mate.

3. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks SilverBack but i´m from Portugal...I believe RicherSounds doesn't ship for UE...unfortunately.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,667
    Tannoy, Acoustic Energy and Mordaunt Short all produce £150 speakers of some repute and sell in Portugal. The Denon is not the last word in power output so look for something that has a low minimum power rating.

5. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,868
    I have a pair of Mission M71is on the predecessor UD-M30 & I'm very pleased with them, especially as they only cost £60 from RS. Mission's distributor in Portugal is:

Corel Comercio de Electronica LDA
    AV Luis Bivar 85a
    1069-145 Lisbon
    Portugal

Telephone: +351 213 512490
    Fax: +351 213 577158
    Email: [email protected]

6. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Same unit, I have Eltax Monitor3's very detailed to my duff ears!.

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried a few sets with that unit and I found the Acoustic Energy Evo1 was the best i'd heard with that unit. The Monitor audio S1 sounded even better, even considering the price difference, but at £300 they really push your budget!

8. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your posts! Bobbypunk i´m thinking about the Monitor Audio bronze b1, but then i have to save a little more...The Evo 1s have great reviews. The Denon ud-m31 can handle them?

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah handling them is no problem tried and tested no sign of strain at all.
    The Monitor audio B1 are fine but if you need them close to a rear wall the go up to the B2 as they are front ported and are just as easy to drive as the AEs.

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    If the Missions 71's are the small bookshelf speakers, they are superb speakers. Put them on some decent stands are they will stand you several upgrades of the rest of your system

11. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, once again for your posts. I´ve made a list where i hope to find the speakers to match with the Denon ud-m31: Tannoys mx1-m
    Monitor Audio Bronze b1s.
    Acoustic Energy Evo1s
    Missions 71's

12. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,868
    Given that these are for bedroom use I guess you also need to give consideration to where you are going to put them. I would think that stands are not an option due to space limitations. My M71is are sitting on top of a bookcase very close to the wall. The bass ports are blocked with the supplied foam inserts & still sound good with a reasonable degree of bass. One other thing to be aware of is that the M71is are rather deep at around 250mm. Given that the Denon is so portable, try to find a supplier that will let you either audition the speakers with it first or will give you an exchange/refund if they don't suit your system/room/ears.

Don't forget that whatever a magazine review or recommendation from this site says, the best speakers are the ones that sound good to YOU on YOUR system in YOUR room!

Boa sorte.

13. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again thanks for all your help. I´ve already bought the Tannoys MX1-M and QED Silver Anniversary cables to connect them to the Denon UD-M31. I don´t have a lot of experience in the world of audio, but i can say that this little system sounds really good to me (and looks great in my bedroom)! I have one doubt, though. I´ve bought the QED Silver Anniversary that´s 2.5mm and since this is a micro system (the ud-m31 has clips to connect the speaker cables on the rear) should i replace it for a 1.5mm? I´ve had some difficulty to insert them in the clip holes but i managed to succeed and i think it sounds very good!