speakers on a tight budget (and with little space) to improve panasonic 42G20 sound

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by xmbs, Nov 27, 2010.

1. xmbs

xmbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just bought the panasonic G20 - I've never had speakers before but apparently the sound on this model really is poor so I would be looking for some kind of improvement. I would actually be happy with a couple of stereo speakers (I think accommodating more than 2 would be tough) as long as the sound was ok - the major problem being a lack of space particularly either side of the TV. I would in fact be happy with the kind of sound performance that you used to get from a mid range CRT.

Budget ideally speaking under £100 though it could stretch to 200 if there were a really good solution at that price.

Sorry if I'm asking an impossible question -- but I really don't want to stuck with awful sound which seems to be the one problem with upgrading to these super slim TVs at the moment,

2. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I might have just the solution your after, below is link to my for sale thread. Basically, if you want speakers to add to your tv, you'll either need P.C speakers which are generally poor quality (which you plug into the mains) or a stereo amplifier combined with speakers.

The system I use for the bedroom tv is a stereo amplifier with speakers. You have the added bonus of a built in cd player + radio tuner and I have also added an i-pod dock. The tv is also connected which basically means I can play any of the 4 audio sources at the press of a button. This gives you an all in one entertainment system played through the B&W speakers. Altogether cost £600, I'm selling for £190! These are the smaller of the B&W speakers too, so could be perfect for your restricted space.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ampl...ale-denon-amp-cd-tuner-dock-b-w-speakers.html

3. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
  4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    The first thing that must be resolved is whether your current TV has a source of audio to feed a stereo amp and speakers?

You will need to check the specs, but the TV should have either a pair of Red and White RCA-style phono-type connectors marked AUDIO OUT, or you can get this from the SCART with about a £5 adapter plug, or you TV should have a headphone out. If you have one of these, then you are good to go, if not, things get more complicated and expensive.

Next, you are going to need a stereo amp that has a remote control. The AUDIO OUTS on a TV are usually 'Fixed' level, meaning they don't change with changes to the TV volume control. So, the amp needs a volume control.

If the TV has a headphone out, that will respond to the volume control, but frequently, though not always, the headphone out has its own volume setting that is set in the menus. That complicates things. But a headphone out would allow you to use active speakers which have their own built-in amps.

As an alternative to what has already been suggested, consider this -

Pioneer A209R amp, 35w/ch, w/ remote, £139
    PIONEER A209R AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0, 4" woofer, 60hz bass response, £59/pr
    Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

These speakers are normally over £100/pr, but are on close-out to make way for the newer Diamond 10.0 which sells for £129/pr and has bass response down to 55hz.

That is pushing your budget, but should be a good system.

The Cambridge TOPAZ AM1 is a pretty basic amp, I think the TOPAZ AM5 would be a better choice at £119, though the power is a little low at 25w/ch. That can still work fine, and is certainly much more power than the TV amps have. Though according to the Richer Sounds website, this amp (both Topaz AM1 and Topaz AM5) doesn't come with a remote control.

If you need to move down to a lower priced, lower powered amp with a remote control, consider the Pioneer A109R for £119 with remote. I personally think the A209R for £139 is a far better deal. The A109R has about 20w/ch by a standard power rating.

The Monitor Audio BR1 is an exceptional speaker at a very attractive price of roughly £100/pr. An equivalent speaker, at an equivalent price would be the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 from SuperFi.co.uk, also being sold for about £100/pr.

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

5. cottlad

cottlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat at the moment. Have looked at the amp + Diamond9 speaker option but wondered if i'd need a sub or whether these speakers could handle the job?
    My other option is the ONKYO HTX22HDX.
    http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/htx22hdx/onky-htx22hdx-blk

Gonna be a little pricier but wondered whether the result would be better?
    Currently have standard DVD, Sky HD, and a wii. May add PS3 in near future not sure though.

I currently have a channel chased out of my wall so need to make a decision quickly.

So......... the ONKYO or Amp+Speakers?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  6. cottlad

cottlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted the following on a different thread. It may help OP but i'm also asking for advice. Just need to choose 1 option but don't think i'm qualified to make the choice and know it's correct:
    --------------------------------------

Sorry if multi-threading but rather than asking dumb questions i'm now in a position to make a choice. I have 4 options to choose from within my budget. I don't mind paying for the most expensive option as long as the performance is equally better.

Currently have standard DVD, Sky HD, Wii. I may add a bluray or PS3 in the near future but this depends on whatever i choose below:

1. Samsung HTBD 1220 Bluray player with 2.1 - £230
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/samsung/htbd1220/sams-htbd1220r
    So, does the player have an inbuilt amp here or would i still need an amp?
    Total £230

2. Sony AV Receiver - £100
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh500/sony-strdh500
    With Wharfdale Diamond9 Speakers - £60
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk
    Total £160

3. Amplifier - £70 to £150 various models
    With same Wharfale speakers - £60
    Total £130 to £210
    If this option, any amp advice?

4. ONKYO Digi Surround Sound System - £240
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/htx22hdx/onky-htx22hdx-blk
    Total £240

I'm obviously not looking for supreme quality as you can see by my budget. Just looking for something that will improve on current TV speakers. Is there an advantage between amp and AVr?

Any advice more than welcomed, cheers

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  7. borrower

borrower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bookshelf speakers that I'm happy with... PSB B15, currently on fleabay for 90 quid. (I have no affiliation with the seller. In fact, they screwed up the address on my order, so I almost got some heartache, though they were gracious enough afterwards.)

8. blert596

blert596

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Doesnt the G20 have an optical out?

A nice amp (Onkyos are good value for money) and some small speakers. Job done. :)