1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers on a budget - Mission?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Irf, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Irf

Irf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, I'm now set on the Velodyne CHT-10 as my sub, and I already have the Pioneer VSX-D510. I'll be shortly looking for a centre and some satellite and rear speakers.

I'm considering a Mission m7c1 for the centre, and Mission m73i & m7ds pairs for the sats and rears. What do you think?

The room measures about 18' by 15', and the rears will probably need to be on the wall with the sats floorstanding.

The budget has to be £100 max for the centre, and £150 per pair for the sats and rears. Low budget I know, but that's all I can afford for the time being. At the moment I'm managing with a crappy cheap JPW set from Richer Sounds!

Thanks for any comments/help....

Irf.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I would say that given how much you are spending on the rest of the speakers, the sub looks expensive. I suppose it depends how much you like your bass.

For me, my CHT-10 adds some low end, but it is subtle most of the time. I only really notice it if I turn the volume up, particularly on movies. My fronts go down to 50Hz.

Consider leaving the sub for now and getting a better set of 5 speakers.

Have you demoed the missions? Have a listen and let your ears decide.

3. Irf

Irf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've not heard the full system as I intend having it set up , but I have heard the Missions as part of another system. They are a million miles better than what I have at the moment - is there anything else I should be looking at though in this price range?

Thanks,

Irf.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    At the same price point there is the Wharfedale Diamond series. Slightly higher is the Acoustic Energy Evo series.

I haven't heard either but from what I've read the Diamonds should be similar, although I think you would get better low end from the 73i fronts.

The Evos should be better overall. You can get the 5 speakers for £540 from Hifibitz, around £725 with the sub. They need a lot of space though as they are designed to be placed about 20" from walls.

Next step up would be the B&W 600 series, which is what I just bought :D They are slightly more than the M5 series from Mission.

BTW - just thought I'd mention, I'm very pleased with my CHT-10 and it makes for a good buy, but in your case I think spending the money you have now on a better set of 5 speakers then getting a sub later might be a wise choice.

5. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my setup was on a budget and similar to what you are looking at.
    i have the m73`s as fronts. no complaints there. go down to 50 htz so plenty of bass. for a centre i am using a 77c1. not from the same series of speakers, but still blends well with the m73`s.you can pick up the centre for about £100. the m7c1 by all accounts isn`t the best, so if you have to stay with the same series of speakers, the m7c2 seems to be the better option, according to numerous posts here anyway.
    for rears i am using a pair of m70`s, which are cheap, but up to the job, and can also be wall mounted with brackets.
    for a sub i have just bought the velodyne cht-10, and am still fiddling with settings, postion etc. to get it sounding it`s best, but it`s already sounding the business.
    if you do go for the m73`s, i`d recommend using the spikes that come with them and also mass loading them.also they are rear ported so need a bit of room behind to stop them booming.
    let me know how you get on.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Disagree. Get the Velodyne sub straight away. A good sub really makes a good 5.1 DD track shine and the Velodyne is around the best at it's price point. Then get the Missions. I love mine. But instead of a dedicated centre speaker from Mission, get a set of M72 bookshelf models. Exactly the same tweeter and woofer as the M73 floorstanders, but without 3 feet of wood hanging off the bottom. Almost perfect front soundstage! :) Keep the other M72 for rear duties when you upgrade (we all will sometime) to 6.1. M72 is cheaper than the dedicated centre too. :devil:

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Just my thoughts on the M73i's. I don't use them in my cinema set-up but I do use them in my HiFi set-up in the lounge and I must admit I’m quite impressed with them. I was going to go for some much more expensive speakers but after thinking about it for a while, what with 2 1/2 year old running about and another one on the way, expensive speakers seemed like a bad idea.

Anyway, listened to i's and was impressed with the alterations Mission have made with the crossovers and internal bracing as I'd listen to the normal m73 before and thought they were OK but nothing special. The low end seemed to get muddled a bit to me but the modifications seemed to have addressed that pretty well and they perform as a much more rounded speaker now. For the money (I paid £135 for mine from QED) they’re a little bargain and at the end of the day if the little one pushes a cone in I haven't lost a small fortune.

Cheers

Dave

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Are the M72's shielded??

Victoria

9. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

Yes the M72's are shielded as is the rest of the M series range.

Cheers

Dave

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    It's good to clarify it ... I've seen people recently recommending 700's for use as a centre with a CRT telly and that isn't sheilded so thought I would check - not that I want the Missions ... happy with B&W 600S2 series.

Victoria

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd say that if you are able to have a sub, and have the money, then get one. Personally I don't believe in 'budget' subs, so while a budget speaker package such as the one suggested, replacing the m7c1 for the m7c2 or even a single m71 or m72, along with a quality (expensive) sub is gonna be explosively good.

Mission rock. Haven't had a decent opportunity to do some Mission asskissing for a while, so thanks.

12. Irf

Irf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow, I thought the Velo CHT-10 was a quality sub. The fact is that this is as much as I can spend and also takes up as much space as I can spare (possibly more!).

I will almost certainly go for the m7c2 instead, cos several people have told me to get the best centre I can afford.

Irf.

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry if I was unclear, but this is what I was saying.

It's best to get the sub, instead of not getting it because it's overpriced compared to the speakers. If you ask me, the sub should be more expensive than the speakers, so I don't think you'll have any problems. I don't think you should even contemplate not getting the sub if you have the money and space.

As I said, in agreement with Nobber, I'd try a single m72 as a centre as well as the so called dedicated centre speakers. There's always someone around who's willing to go halves on a pair, and I've found they fit that much better with the other speakers.

14. Irf

Irf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, thanks. I'll ask around if anyone wants to split a pair of m72's with me.....

Anyone else have any opinions on using a single m72 instead of a m7c2 dedicated centre?

Thanks,

Irf.

15. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    just a word of warning regarding the mission m7c2- i got mine today and it is pretty huge!

When on top of Tv it looks massive. Its twice as high as a sky digibox and nearly as long as the tv. its also very deep!

16. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    sparkymarky it sounds good though. gonzo:D

17. Irf

Irf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like I might get one of these two setup then:

m73i (mains), m7c2 (centre), m7ds (rears)

or

m773e (mains), m77c1 (centre), m77ds (rears)

I'm guessing that the 77 series is that bit older, because they are stocked by RS and no other dealers..... correct? I'm not really bothered about that - I want to get whichever sounds best. SOmeone has suggested that the 73i does not do as well as the 773e low down, but I've not heard the 773.

Whaddya think?

Irf.

18. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'm feeling very controversial today so I will say that the Mission 773e is IMO the most over-rated speaker of the last 5 years! The midrange and bass cones do not integrate well and the topend is schreechy. They loose composure quickly if you give them some welly too. Pick one up and they feel like they are made of cardboard, they are so light. Mission had to add extra supports to the feet to stop them wobbling over!

I have tried them in about half a dozen occasions over the years with loads of different electronics in several diff. stores/listening rooms and each time came away seriously disappointed. :(

I may sound biased towards the M73's 'cos I have some, but I would rather recommend some of RS's other "own brands" than these 773e Missions.

The centre and rears are nice tho'.

19. Irf

Irf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Nobber22. What about if I wanted to mix the M73's with the the 77c1 and the m7ds rears? Some people say you should stick within a series for best matching. Also the 77ds appears to be rated at 75W, while the 7ds is at 100W.

Irf.

20. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    My mate has those rears and centre matched to Mission M74's and they sound great! Don't worry about the power handling, unless you are after buying amps over £1000 and 120W and playing them at reference level all weekend long. :) Amps in your sights will be just fine with those 77DS's.

21. Irf

Irf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You're a lovely fella! I'm off to get a listen to whatever I can this weekend.....

Irf.

22. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I have both sets of speakers the 773e's and the M73i's and the 773e's outperform the 73's in every area (only very slightly mind you) apart from the bass which is indeed lightweight on the 773e’s. I have them set up at this very moment right next to each other to compare so I really don't know what you mean. Each to there own I guess. As for the 773e's lack of bass well isn't that where the sub comes in :cool: They integrate nicely with my Servo 15 so no complaints at all here.

Cheers

Dave

23. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    gonzo, i don't doubt that the mission m7c2 do sound good. i was merely saying that i was surprised how big it was when it arrived today