• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speakers - No Sub required

DaveBloor

Standard Member
I am looking for some advice for a new set of speakers, front, centre and rears. I already have the BK Minotaur Sub so I would like something that will compliment this.

I would prefer to be able to wall mount the speakers at the front and have the rears on stands if possible.

I don't want to spend a fortune, the reason being that the speakers I have are from on old Samsung 5.1 DVD player kit which costs, £200 for the lots, DVD player, sub and speakers so I am assuming that I will see a big difference with almost any speakers I buy !!

The rest of the kit I have is in my signature and the attached image will give you and idea of where I would like to mount the speakers as the cabling is already in place.

Thanks !!

DSC_3375.jpg

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Not sure how your budget works out, but check out the stuff in this link, I use some of it and I can vouch for its performance. Sound quality is good and the finish on the product is brilliant.

Monitor Audio Radius

And speakers do make a hell of a difference, the better you choose the better they'll sound. Only thing you need to do is make sure that the amp your using will drive them ok, which in the case of the MA Radius shouldnt be a problem. They are easy enough to drive and are quite sensitive, meaning they also go loud ;)

DaveBloor

Standard Member
Budget, are we talking real pounds or wife pounds !

I don't want to spend a fortune, the speakers I have are naff, so whatever I get it has to be an improvement.

I would like to work around the price of I have paid for the other equipment I have, £300 for the AV receiver, £270 for the Tosh HD-DVD player.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Assuming you want speakers that are the same style as those you already have, I still say stick with the monitor audio range as you can mix and match the speakers from the range and purchase them individually and they come in a gorgeous piano black finish. They will do your system no end of justice and wont be too much for what youve spent already, and if you ever want to upgrade you av receiver in the future these will still do you on a higher spec system.
A rule of thumb when spending though is to match your speaker package price to that of your amp, the one Ive suggested goes over this slightly but IMO is worth every penny.

Havin failed that click here for some ideas.
Or here

DaveBloor

Standard Member
I do quite like the style of the speakers I have now but it isn't the major deciding factor.

Based on the "spend as much on the speakers as you did on the amp" suggestion, I have £300 to spend.

I don't think I need a new sub, I have the BK Minotaur at the minute so that leaves me with £300 for speakers.

slyv12

i've just bought the monitor audio radius 225's for LCR from sevenoaks, should be £200 each but they have 25% off at the mo so down to £150 each, the radius 180's are down from £150 to £112 and then theres the r90's too.

Great finish on them and they sound good too.

Cynar

Have you considered these
Unbelievably good sound for their size and very wife friendly.
I believe they're designed by someone who used to work for Anthony Gallo and are very similar to Gallo speakers but much cheaper. The current favourable £/$ exchange rate makes them even better value.
They can also be upgraded in the future to Mod2s or even Mod4s as funds allow.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Have you considered these
Unbelievably good sound for their size and very wife friendly.
I believe they're designed by someone who used to work for Anthony Gallo and are very similar to Gallo speakers but much cheaper. The current favourable £/$ exchange rate makes them even better value.
They can also be upgraded in the future to Mod2s or even Mod4s as funds allow.

Do you work for Orb? ;)

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
That would be superb if you were as I could source them through you instead of getting them shipped from the states! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom