Question Speakers needed for basic setup

Smallclone

Hi,

I have a new attic conversion and require some speakers for the tv. I am using an HTPC via HDMI into the tv, but the television's speakers are awful so need to upgrade. I typically require a stereo solution and not 5.1 or 7.1

So what are my options? Is it best to get a basic soundbar? Can I get 2 stereo floorstanding speakers relatively cheaply or do I need a good AV receiver to accompany them?

Thanks.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?
What sound outputs does the TV/HTPC have?
For the best sound quality for a given budget a stereo amp and pair of speakers will be best. An AVR gives easier connectivity but a stereo amp should be able to be connected without too many issues.

Smallclone

Thanks.

Budget: £200 max, but would prefer alot less.
Outputs are all HDMI.

This is a very budget option in a secondary location, so not my main tv viewing area. In short, I just want decent sound in quite a small room, as the tv speakers are more or less shot.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You would need to check but one of the scarts (if you have more than 1) may well output sound. Hence you could connect a scart lead to this which converts this to a pair of RCA leads that could then go into a stereo amp. This would allow easy connection of a stereo amp and probably the best solution sound quality wise.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom