1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers near radiators...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by woodgaz, Oct 10, 2004.

1. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will this cause a problem?
    I am ripping up my lounge right now to install my new kit properly (may put pics up sooon actually - its been a bit of a mission and one that forum members may benefit from).
    I have channels chased into the walls to house the cable for my new Orb satellites (which sound great BTW).
    Problem is, a radiator is being moved from under the window to a vertical type up the wall - great - creates more space and will look very cool ... but... it will bring it pretty close to the proposed site of one of the rears, which are metal cased, and I was wondering whether exposure to heat is a major no no.
    Dependant on the radiator placement the speaker could be as close as 6 inches from the edge of the radiator.
    Feedback much appreciated.

2. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Not being any kind of authority I would still say that any large, regular change in temperature would be bad for pretty much anything. Instruction manuals for most things say something like that on the front page.

Saying that, there'll be plenty of air round the speaker and as long as it isn't sitting on the radiator I wouldn't have thought it would heat it up much.

3. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was my concern, it really will be too close. I have routed anouther channel into the wall and have put the conduit in there instead. I have been told that the majority of a radiators work is by convection of air currents rather than by radiation (odd that they are called radiators then eh?) but having imported these cute little things from the States its not like I want to risk it really.
    The speaker won't be in its ideal position but not far out.
    Thanks for your reply.
    G.