Speakers! kef 2005

A

Anders Porsmose

I need speakers to go with a Yamaha v1300 + 530 DVD player...
I think about the kef 2005

kef 2005 owners, your thoughts please?

:D

my two pence....

I'm in the process of getting my first home cinema set up, moving from high quality hifi (naim)

I was all set to get the kefs, on the back end of a denon 2800mkII dvd and 3802 amp set up.

Then i dem'd the jmlabs side by side with kefs. In my opinion the jmlab sat/sub setup was better, more open and smooth, and approx same cost.

I'm not familar with your yammy boxes, but i suggest you dem both before making a decision.

regards
VC

I've had the 2005 set for about 9 months.
The eggs sound fine but there was always something not quite right about the bass. the kef sub makes a good deep rumble. It does not make clean bass notes.
If its only for HT use then it will be fine. If like me you want to listen to multi channel music on the system the get a cht-10 velodyne from the power buys forum here. I'm sure there are plenty of other 'musical' subs out there but the velodyne does it for me.
If you want a kef sub (the now superceded 150W version) make me an offer!

RobertP - how would you rate the Kefs without the Kef sub??? As these are available without the Kef sub there's no need to swing a purchase decision on these just because of the sub! Obviously bass will be lacking without a sub but I'm quite interested. I've been auditioning the Gallo Nucleus speakers and the Kefs are obvious alternatives. I'm planning on running one (or more) REL Quakes with the eventual setup. I'm quite taken with the REL and would not consider either the Kef of Gallo alternatives anyway. I'm primarily looking for superb 'out-of-the-box' imaging which the Gallos certainly excel at quite extroadinarily for the money, but also smooth midband and treble performance and at least a hint of real bass. My understanding from a previous HiFi World reveiw though is that the Kefs require some real amp welly to give of their best? What are you using to drive them?

Well im currently using the Yamaha rxv -1200 with the Kef eggs and B & W 601's like most people i think the Kef is weak and overblown so i opted for the REL Quake, big difference.
Never had a chance to listen to the Gallos but try to get a demo....

Good Luck !!!!

I have had the kefs for a year now and was orginally in a small room so the sub did its job well but once i moved to a bigger room it is well out of depth compared to other subs. I am just about to sell my 5 kef eggs on ebay if your interested.

RobertP - how would you rate the Kefs without the Kef sub??? As these are available without the Kef sub there's no need to swing a purchase decision on these just because of the sub! Obviously bass will be lacking without a sub

Doomlord_uk -
Sorry its taken a while to reply!
The honest answer is that if I was starting again it would not be with Kef eggs. When I first got them they seemed pretty good - and for HT they still do. Early this year more than a few people were recommending the Denon 3802 (105 Wpc) with Kef eggs. I don't have time to go and demo anything so I bought without hearing first. My old yamaha amp and Bose direct/reflecting speakers went and the eggs became my music system too. Music was pretty disappointing until I got the Velodyne sub. Now I just think there is a hint of something wrong with the lower mid range instead of being sure there is. The eggs don't just cut off below 120Hz I think they tail off before it.
That said I'm keeping the eggs for now as I can't see an alternative. I have not heard gallos or anything else (apart from the truly awful expensive bose nonsense in Alders - at least it made me smile) . I have no space for 'real' speakers. One sat speaker may sound better than another but i need convincing they are an option if you want good music performance.

RJCOWAN - have you put your eggs on ebay?
I'm interested what price would you be prepared to part for (incl postage).

MAC

hate doign business on an open forum and apologise to the guys who have started this thread.
Mac send us an e-mail to [email protected] and I will find out postage charges

Cheers

You'll do well to audition B&W's VM1 package - although I would also suggest ditching the package sub, just buying 5/6 VM1's (£125 each) and then a decent sub.

More than the KEF's but better as well - IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom