1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers-Its a funny old game.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by John Watts, Jun 5, 2004.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all,
    I've got a bit of an interesting one for you here or at least i think so.

Here go'es,
    I have BOSE accoustimass speakers for my front five and Wharfdale bipolars for my rear es/ex surrounds. My question is not about the Wharfdales but the BOSE, They were my first set of AV speakers which my local home cinema dealer sold me. They looked great and with my novice ears sounded good too but as far as many people here are concerned there garbage. I bought these speakers before ever reading an AV mag or listeneng to different packages- i guess you live and learn.
    Anyway i have spent the last year or so thinking arrrgh i made a bad buy and i need to replace these BOSE things and the only thing stopping me was the fact that i spent a good few days going under my floorboards to lay the cable and then making channels in my solid walls to bury the cables and then plastering over and painting again.
    Now here is my point, I have just suddenly realised that i still like the sound of my speakers- i always did maybe they are not great but i dont know any better or at least my ears dont. Its only people telling me that the are rubbish that makes me want to change them.
    So is ignorance bliss??? That is the question. I'm scared to go and audition other speakers now as it will make me spend spend spend. That in itself is not a problem its just that im thinking why spend money when your happy with what you have got?
    Sorry to babble on a bit folks but i think its a really interesting point and im sure that there are loads of other people stewing over the same kind of thing but maybe with amps,cables,projectors,you name it!
    I know one thing, the dealers love it when we get bitten by that upgrade bug.
    Your thoughts please,
    Regards,
    John.

P.S Anyone got any decent speakers for sale, ha ha ha. :laugh:

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If you like the Bose, I'd keep them for now, buy a great sub instead. You will still need to use the Bose sub, but you could set the speakers to small so that the Bose sub doesn't need to do much (around 80-280 Hz).

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Good point Jeff,
    I have a servo15 so that part of the spectrum is pretty well covered.
    It's pretty funny when you look at the BOSE cubes next to the servo15 monster.
    Thanks for the reply,
    John.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is a bit of a cliché to say that "What sounds best to you, probably is best for you" but it is true. There is pressure on our wallets from many different directions so why waste money on trading in speakers which you are happy with, when there are probably a dozen other things that you could be doing with the cash instead. It may be heresy to some but upgrading AV equipment isn't the be all and end all of life which is something that too many lose sight of.

Whatever you buy there will always be someone willing to tell you that if you spend more you will get more so just ignore them but it may be an idea not to wander into hifi shops for a listen - just in case :)

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    John

Your tastes are your own and nobody should dicate to you what you should like or not. We all know that niggling feeling when we think everybody else has somethig better. We hear one criticism of a product we own and we start questioning our own judgment. That's how capitalism works. Dissatisfaction is the cause of much consumer spending.

Ask yourself why thare are hundreds, if not thousands, of different speaker companies. Because there are so many different tastes. No two people will hear the same thing from a pair of speakers in the same room during the same demo. One will be excited and eagerly produce 'the plastic' on cue. The other will just wonder what it was all about.

Your hard work in cabling the room was hopefully not in vain. You may still be able use the same cable runs to feed your future speakers.

You have the priceless luxury of not being completely dissatisfied with your Bose speakers. You just feel you ought to be buying something new.

You have a great sub which easily produces most of the impact needed on films. Relax and enjoy your system as it is. But visit dealers now and then with an open mind. See what's on offer and have a listen. Take your time. What's the hurry?

Hopefully you'll still like your Bose when you come home afterwards. One day you will suddenly be excited by a particular set of speakers. After checking what everybody else thinks about them (for future ease of mind) you can go ahead and buy something you like that finally disposes of the Bose kit into a very small cardboard box. But it will be your choice if this ever happens.

Nimby

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I too was taken in by the salesmen and bought Bose for my first AV setup :blush: . They are not that bad, just that for the same money you can get far better speakers.
    I, like the others on this thread think that you should keep what you have until such time as you really want to upgrade and have the money to do so!

Saying that though, if you are looking I have a set of B&W 603/602.5/LCR60s3 speakers on the hardware sales forum that do make a great 6.1 setup (well minus the .1 as my sub is not up for grabs - YET!) :devil: .

Mark.

7. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for the replies Ian and Nimby,Mark,
    I couldn't agree with you both more. :thumbsup:

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Hi

I was in the same boat as you - my first proper speakers I bought for home cinema were the Bose AM15 and I knew nothing about speakers then

Then when I researched on the internet you get all these wierd reviews on them

So you think you made a big mistake buying them

BUT

Still after 3 years I still have them and like them

And what do I do now - I go to the home cinema exhibitions like Manchester and listen to all the new speakers that come out and then decide if I bought them would they sound better

So its fun this way and keeps my hobby going

I have developed views on quite a range of speakers now like KEF, M and K, Dynaudio, Gallo, Infinity etc

You need to ask down to earth retailers about Bose and they will tell you they are as good as any other speaker manufacturer but are probably a bit cleverer because of their special sound dispersion techniques that other speakers don't have.

My advice is don't worry, they do sound good for DVD watching