1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speakers in series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by orangemirrors, Jan 31, 2002.

1. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a yamaha ax1 with a single output for a rear centre but saw once a review where they wired two speakers 'in series' i am using one at the moment but want to try two. i have noticed it mentioned in here aswell. can someone explain how this is done as i dont want to fiddle and blow anything

cheers all

sid

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If they are both 8 Ohm wire in parallel, the Yamaha should be able to cope with that.
    If the speakers are 4 Ohm wire in series (not recommended though but it can work).

3. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the reply reiner

but can i check is 'in parrallel' two seperate runs of cable both from the one output on the amp, one run to each of the two speakers.

if this is the case would i be right in thinking that in series is one run of cable from the amp to the first speaker then one from speaker to speaker.

if someone could put me right i would be most grateful

cheers for all your help

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a question I was going to ask myself.

some pdf files I got from Mission on 6.1/7.1 setups actually recommend running your centre rear speakers in serial if you only have 1 output on your amp... (mission 70ds or 7ds?).

reading up, and assuming I got this correct...
    wiring in serial would double the load but get the same volume to both speakers...
    wiring in parallel would half the load but only have half the volume to each speaker..

have I got this right?

next Q... how exactly do you wire this then?

presumably something like... + on amp going to + on speaker A, then to + speaker B.. then the reverse for -ve through B to A?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Parallel 1:

Amp + to speaker 1 + to speaker 2 +
    Amp - to speaker 1 - to speaker 1-

or parallel 2:

amp+ to speaker 1+
    amp + to speaker 2+
    amp - to speaker 1 -
    amp - to speaker 2 -

(+ = red and - = black) Depends on where the speakers are located, i.e. is it easier to run one pair from speaker 1 to speaker 2 or two pairs from the amp to each speaker.

Series:

amp + to speaker 1 +
    speaker 1 - to speaker 2 +
    speaker 2 - to amp -

Wiring parallel will make sure both speakers can get the load they demand though you do indeed increase the load to the amp, hence I recommend this for 8 Ohm speakers (2 in parallel will give 4 Ohm). This is what e.g. your A/B terminals do.

Wiring in series is not recommended but can be done. If both speakers are 4 Ohm the resulting impedance will be 8 Ohm, but if there are differences in the speakers (worst case two different speakers) it could result in one speaker being louder than the other. If they are identical (same brand & model) I don't think it's a problem though.

6. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner you have my permission to go and get yourself a very big drink you have earned it this is definately your good deed for the day.

many thanks for your easy to understand answer you have helped me greatly the only thing i can't understand is why i couldnt find this info anywhere else surely i am not the only person to have this problem

cheers again

merry christmas if i dont see you before

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    interesting that you dont recommend wiring the speakers in serial...

here's an excerpt from the Mission document I mentioned that is specifically about using their speakers in a 6.1/7.1 ex setup.

8. Tweeter

Tweeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think its quite possible that mission have made this recomendation to prevent the risk of someone connecting 2 x 4 ohm speakers in parallel (2 ohms) which may cause damage over a period of time or high volume use.

Its quite true that a series connection can result in differing volume levels between different speaker type. However by insuring that any series connections are made with the same speakers and with simular cable lengths there should nt be a problem.

If you check the recomended load for your amplifier this is what you need to achieve with your connections.

The higher the speaker impedance offered to the amp the lower the volume output and the cooler the amp will run. The lower the impedence the the hotter the amp will get.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wiring in series is a lot safer, don´t forget the impedance off the speakers in only average, most will go down under certain frequencies, you could burn the amp or the speakers...

10. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks all for your thoughts and advice

i would like some ideas on what is best for all the combos
    i.e what is best for 2x 4 ohm's 2x6 ohm's 2 x 8 ohms

and just to finish off i am using the following at the moment

centre 6 ohms
    front 6 ohms
    rears 8 ohms
    rear centre 6 ohms

as i have only one output for the rear centre would the pair of 6 or 8's be better for the amp as i can obviously swap them round.

cheers all

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    2x4: series
    2x6: series
    2x8: parallel or series, depending how much load your amp can take

12. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that Reiner

take care all

13. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would always wire in series.

The impedance given for speakers is average across frequency range. Many quoted at 8ohms can go lower than 4ohmns at some frequencies. Put two in parallel and this could be too much for the average AV amp that has to power 6+ channels, and whose power supply is often working near its limit.

The fact that there could be an inbalance of volumes is a non issue, you should not consider wiring none identical speakers in series or parallel. If you do you may get different volumes from each which ever way they are connected due to different sensitivities.

Wire in series and hike the volume up 3db at the rear to allow for the increased impedence.

14. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers greeny

i must admit this was a subject i didnt have a clue about before hand but the responses in here have i think sorted that out. the point about different speakers in either series or parrallel is right. although i didnt know anything about this subject iwould never have used diff speakers but other people have mentioned the same thing. i just cant see why anyone would do this but obviously some people must.

thanx again

15. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    In my opinion there should be no problem wiring identical speakers in series. If they are not identical then there will be different levels at different frequencies from each speaker- the impedence is never constant throughout the frequency range- so not recommended!

Oh.. should I mention damping factor with series speakers..?

16. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Oh.. should I mention damping factor with series speakers..?"

go on then the suspense is killing me what is the damping factor. i eagerly await this new twist in the subject i love learning new things but i never knew when i started on the a/v journey it would lead to so many thoughts on how i can explain to the dearly beloved just why i need to upgrade yet another bit of kit and how much it will enrich our lives.

so put me out of my misery and give me another reason to get back on the road to a/v heaven.