Speakers in front only, or front and back?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by MS-Yam, Nov 29, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of people in the business have advised me to keep my front speakers and LOSE my back speakers. The obvious reason is that your ears face the front. I have just acquired a top notch sub (10" Boston - in sealed box), and thus I am told there is no reason to want bass from my 6x9 speakers in the back. This is understandable of course, but surely I want to keep the high frequencies and midrange in the back, spreading around the car.

The car is a honda civic hatchback (96). The speakers I have in the front are old Pioneer full range 16cm, which are a bit tired now. I will be upgrading to some decent components eventually. But even so, I have the power there (4 channel pioneer amp), so why not use it for the back too??

So, my 2 options are:

1. Get a shelf made for my Infinity 6x9s, and upgrade to decent front components.

2. Do away with the back speakers completely, and upgrade to front components.

Another reason I am advised to remove back speakers is that they may spoil the quality bass from the sub.

Can any of you guys share your thoughts on this and recommend anything? This would be great.

2. roscopervis

roscopervis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You have been advised correctly. The rear speakers and ESPECIALLY the mid and high frequencies will spoil the stereo soundstage and image and will also affect the quality of bass produced by your sub. Both the 6x9's and the sub will be fighting for the same air and the sub will win, though not before the 6x9's have affected the bass qualities. Also the sub will possibly damage the 6x9's as the pressure will exert the cones and further affect the bass output of both speakers.

In a car, especially as small as a Civic you do not need rear speakers, upgrade and amplify the fronts and bridge the amp for the the sub also. This would be a superb starter system, especially with that quality Boston sub.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yep, loose the rears and consider using the amp to actively drive the components if this is possible.

4. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for the replies!

This all makes sense. I have a seperate amp for the sub - a Rockford Fosgate 301s (300w RMS). Will I be best off just losing two of the four channels in my Pioneer amp, and using the other two for my fronts?

I know what's coming next, as soon as I get this Boston beast in my car, the system will be lacking quality in the front. My Pioneer full range speakers were ok in the day, but theyre about 5 year old now and sounding a bit tired, unless my expectations are higher now. Having said that, if I have more powerful speakers in the front, I think the grills may vibrate just too much! On certain music, I can hear them vibrating occasionally now!

I have also been advised to use the high pass filter for the fronts, but I feel I may be lacking midrange... or am I totally wrong??

Thanks again

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Use the 4 channels of the Pioneer amp to power the comps actively, ie power the mids and tweeters directly from the amp using the amps crossovers instead of the passive ones supplied with the speakers and get a dedicated mono amp to drive the sub.

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lynx, thanks for the advice.

The speakers I am considering are the Focal components. I understand these are very good. Will the supplied crossovers not be as good as seperating the mids/tweeters with the amp? I have never thought of doing it this way.

By the way, I already have an amp for my sub - a Rockford Fosgate 301s. I think it's a 2 channel but it's bridged into one anyway.

One other question: Is there a way I can stop my front speaker covers from vibrating when my stereo is turned up loud?

Thanks

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Try the supplied crossovers and see what you think, if your happy then leave them that way.
    Speaker covers- remove them and place some blobs of blue tack or similar around the edge, you may not eliminate the rattle but you should be able to reduce it considerably.

8. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers lynx, will do.

9. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    To stop vibrations try sound deadening material and silicone spray around all plastic.