speakers in a cabinet - sound problems?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by richard plumb, Jan 4, 2007.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Hi

I currently have my front speakers mounted on the wall. I'm about to put up floor-ceiling cabinets and just realised that I'll have to do something with the speakers!

If I have to put them in one of the cabinets with the door open, how badly would the sound be affected, and what can I do to avoid as many problems as possible?

The cabinets are 60cm wide by 64cm high with shelves (although can be removed if necessary. I currently have Mission FS1s although I'm considering replacing with KEF 2005s so I can get rid of the separate Sub (I have two with the FS1s because they are a bit bass-shy). I could either mount/stand the speakers up on the cabinet floor, or mount them on the back wall. Still just IKEA chipboard all around though.

2. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi

In my opinion speakers are at there best on dedicated, stable, well damped stands - leaving alone floorstanders !.. The trouble with cabinet mounting will be the level of coloration and more worryingly boominess that would add to the equation... The KEFs are fairly small, but they would still need plenty of breathing space for them to project will into your listening room. If push comes to shove though and you have no choice, then make sure there is plenty of damping underneath the speakers. Cork tiles are a good bet...

Goodluck

Tim :)

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    My guess it will sound truely terrible, you will effectively be producing a bass trap for that speaker, which will result in shed loads of boom coming from the speaker and very little of anything else.

4. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    The damping needs to be all around the speakers not just below it.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    :/

ok, so now I've bought all the cabinets, I need help handling the situation. Its not like I can even dedicate an entire cubicle to each speaker...Hmm.

I could wall mount the left one in front of the cabinet, but not the right one - there is a window.

Or hang from the ceiling? but then I'd probably have terrible front imaging as the centre needs to be below the projector screen (or could that be above as well)?

6. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    I don't see any problems with the centre being above the screen on the assumption that it is angled down to the listening position. You have to remember that the best position for a centre speaker is right at the centre of the screen (i.e. behind it) as per most cinema. Placing it above or below is just a pratical compromise.

Not sure how you would get on mounting the speakers on the ceiling for a cosmetic point of view though, i guess not such an issue if no wife / small speakers.

One thing worth noting is higher the frequency less the distortion will be. If you sub is up to the job you could try altering the roll off to see if it helps.

On the flip side you could be lucky and the cabinet could have no effect on the sound, so always worth trying it out first before billing holes in the ceiling.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111

You'll be fine. That is a huge space for a satellite speaker. Even a small sealed or front-ported bookshelf speaker would be ok. :)

Kef 2005 speakers are tiny and don't produce any bass at all. As long as your sub is sited correctly ie. not in the cabinet, I see no problem with placing the 2005's in a cabinet. With sats placing them at ear height and spacing them correctly to get a uniform soundstage is more important.

The door(s) may close in the speakers slightly and reduce the width of your soundstage a bit, but overall I'd say go for it.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Cheers Nobber, thats a relief.