1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers + Hard Flooring - bit of advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by barnabybear, Jan 1, 2004.

1. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I bet this is a common problem (But I can't find anything using a search)
    I have hard flooring in our main room, I also have a (Cheap Panasonic - but hey) HiFi and the usual 2 way speakers.

Now I've wondered for some time if my HiFi had a problem in that the sound is rather bass-heavy and, well it sounds sometimes as if someone's stuck an old sock in the speaker cone. Treble is lacking.
    I'm wondering now though if it's more what the speakers are standing on. They are straight onto the flooring.
    Mounting these on the wall is out of the question (Got to be wife friendly;) ).
    Does anyone have any suggestions - would for example me getting hold of a couple of carpet squares and cutting them to size to pop under the speakers (It's not as if that option would cost anything) help matters, or maybe some small speaker stands to raise them off the floor.

I have tried putting them temporarily on the sofa, and it has helped a bit (But it then sounds strange in a different way). I do know of course that I can't expect too much from this HiFi (And we are saving up for something better).

Or maybe I'm totally barking up the wrong tree, and the HiFi is indeed knackered:D

Any ideas

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unless your speakers are floorstanders they should be mounted on stands that will bring the tweeter to ear level when you are seated. You should notice an improvement in sound quality when they are on decent heavy stands.

3. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I shall try options out - if no good, then I might as well upgrade:D

4. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most pure solutions to the problem are not partner friendly!!

Small stands are better than non but most bookshelf speakers for best sound are around 20-24" tall the hardest thing is coming to a comprimise .
    several companys make attractive stands (as attractive as a stand can be!!)Atacama,Alphason,Optimum,Soundstyle,Sound Org etc

I would get brochures from these manufacturers as this shows them at there best and makes it easier to persuade your MRS!!

Ps you have checked the Phase of your speaker wire is correct ..Red to Red And Black to Black
    Good Luck !:smashin:
    BOB