Speakers from the USA

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FMC, Mar 9, 2006.

1. FMC

FMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is there any reason why speaker bought from the US wouldn't work? It seems to me you can get a decent deal on speakers bought from over the pond.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Hello FMC

There is no technical reason to stop you using US manufactured loudspeakers (lots of folk in the UK/Europe already do) - though keep in mind if your considering an Active Sub as part of the package it'll likely have a 110v power supply.

Best regards

Joe

3. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    many usa prices might sound cheap, but remember to include delivery/insurance as well as customs duty and vat, and customs clearance handling charges. that can push the price up a fair bit

"normal" unpowered speakers (ie. bookshelves/floorstandards) are the same, just ensure you check the specs are suitable for your use/amp

4. FMC

FMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was thinking of getting the people I buy of to mark it as a test sample ,thus avoiding duty(I hope).

5. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i dont think that works. i'm pretty sure samples that to be clearly unusable to avoid duty - such as clothing marked "sample", or only parts of items sent

i used to work for a company that imported goods, and i'm sure we had to wait for samples to clear customs and pay duty. if they sent us a broken peice of the item marked as sample to check the colour/finish it was ok. i'm sure the rules were that if you can use the item, you pay the duty. theres an £18 allowance for personal importation, which gives reasonable allowance for samples of many items...

otherwise everyone would be at it. if you do try and con customs and get caught, you can get fined and worse as it's fraud. it's really not worth it to save £100 or so

6. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    As long as the speakers are passive and not mains powered they'll work. Even then you can buy active speakers & subwoofers from the US, check the PSU has UK option or is auto-switching.

You will pay customs and import duty, it should work out cheaper but by how much depends on the UK mark up. You might find save very little on a one brand but might save upto 50% on anther.

7. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    As a rule of thumb add 20-25% on top of the sale price for shipping and duty.

Usually that is still a saving but often not as much as you might expect especially when you consider warranties etc..

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    yeah, if you receive it and there is something wrong, you may have to pay for it to be shipped back again. you might not even get any warranty if it relates to the country the item was purchased in

you're probably better off finding a discounted UK dealer and pay a bit extra, but have no worries if something goes wrong