Speakers for Yamaha RXV765? Budget £350

Chong Warrior

Standard Member
Just bought the Yamaha RXV765 but the speakers I originally planned to get weren't in stock. The Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 set for £350.

Though I've been toying with the idea of just buying a higher quality pair of floorstanders and a centre speaker instead. So for the time being I could do without a sub and I think the rear speakers are the least important part of any cinema setup? I've got a pair of cheap and cheerful Pioneer satellites that could do a job for a bit.

How would something like Mourdant Short 914i floorstanders with the 905i centre compare with the Q Acoustic set?? Bearing in mind they'd cost about £250 - so £100 less and more money towards a sub and rears later.

Any better solutions for my budget?

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
How would something like Mourdant Short 914i floorstanders with the 905i centre compare with the Q Acoustic set?? Bearing in mind they'd cost about £250 - so £100 less and more money towards a sub and rears later.

Any better solutions for my budget?
The MS 914 and 905 centre would be better than the QA set im my view and yamaha and MS speakers go great together.

I'm wondering where you can buy them for that price though? Does the same place have the 906i/916i at reasonable prices, as they would be even better than the 914is.

Chong Warrior

Standard Member
The MS 914 and 905 centre would be better than the QA set im my view and yamaha and MS speakers go great together.
Thanks I was hoping someone would say the MS go well with the Yamaha.
I'm wondering where you can buy them for that price though? Does the same place have the 906i/916i at reasonable prices, as they would be even better than the 914is.
Afraid not. The speakers I've been looking at are at my local branch of RS in the clearance section at a bargain price.

- I've also been toying with the idea of just buying the QA 1030i - or maybe even 1050i - floorstanders along with matching 1000i centre and not bothering with the sub, again just using my Pioneer sat's for a while as rears. This would come in at under £300 so cheaper than the 5.1 set.

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
- I've also been toying with the idea of just buying the QA 1030i - or maybe even 1050i - floorstanders along with matching 1000i centre and not bothering with the sub, again just using my Pioneer sat's for a while as rears. Again this would come in at under £300.
As RS also sell the QA speaker and the yamaha 765, could you demo and see which is better between the MS and QA speakers? I honestly don't know which would sound better. If going for the QAs, I would definitely get the 1050i over the 1030i though.

Chong Warrior

Standard Member
As RS also sell the QA speaker and the yamaha 765, could you demo and see which is better between the MS and QA speakers? I honestly don't know which would sound better. If going for the QAs, I would definitely get the 1050i over the 1030i though.
Not possible to demo the MS speakers hence me posting on here for opinions. Also RS don't sell the 1050i only the 1030i so I might see if it's possible to demo those sometime this week.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Not possible to demo the MS speakers hence me posting on here for opinions. .
All I can say is that I'm really happy with my yamaha/MS speaker combo and MS would be on my shopping list for future speaker purchases. What I can't say is wheather the QAs would be better.

ChopperCharles

Standard Member
Go used. There are great deals to be had on Craigslist! I picked up a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-150's for $250 locally... and good God these are the most awesome HT speakers! You must have an assload of room though, they're the size of mini-fridges. You will NOT need a sub. Ever. Seriously, I have my sub output set to use the front L/R channels, and it will rattle the window panes when I put Serenity in the DVD player. They're not bad for music either. I mean, they're not Vandersteens by any measure, but they sound damn good regardless, and not needing to purchase a subwoofer is a big plus in my book.

Charles.

Gary Parson

Novice Member
I am also looking to match a speaker system to a Yamaha RXV765 also and dont want floorstanders.. Is there anything to rival the WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM for £350? from Superfi. Was originally looking at the 1010i q acoustics setup but was put off by the amp feedback. Also got a budget of roughly £350. Maybe could go a touch higher if the difference is really worth it.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I am also looking to match a speaker system to a Yamaha RXV765 also and dont want floorstanders.. Is there anything to rival the WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM for £350? from Superfi. Was originally looking at the 1010i q acoustics setup but was put off by the amp feedback. Also got a budget of roughly £350. Maybe could go a touch higher if the difference is really worth it.
The Qa 1010i 5.1 set is a very good one to go for if you can find stock.

Another alternative, but would cost more is to buy five of these for £300 and than add a sub. Something like the wharfdale sub for £150.

These would be better speakers than the QA speakers as they are half price and the five speakers originally cost £600. they are designed so that they can be used a centres or surrounds.

Monitor Audio R180

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND SW150 SUBWOOFER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/2208 for details

Also, the QA 2000 set at £500 would work, but I'd rather have the Monitor Audio Radius, which would work well with the yamaha amp.

Gary Parson

Novice Member
those R180's look a bit larger than the 1010i's to me and like i say the budget is 350 or maybe a touch more.. maybe to 400 at a stretch if it's really worth it.

so you'd say the 1010 set is better than the wharfdale diamond 9 set?

any other speakers i should be checking in this price range for the quality?

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
so you'd say the 1010 set is better than the wharfdale diamond 9 set?

any other speakers i should be checking in this price range for the quality?
I wouldn't say that the QAs are better than the wharfdale speakers. It's all about amp matching. With the Yamaha amp, i'd buy the QAs. If it was a sony or onkyo amp, I'd buy the Wharfdales.

Yamaha amps are warm sounding and the W/Ds are also a little warm. that would be too warm a sounding combination for me. The QAs are neutral so they would work better for me with a Yamaha amp.

With a bright sounding Sony or Onkyo, the W/Ds would be my choice as the warmness of them would compliment the brightness of the amps.

This is all a bit subjective though. peoples' sound preferences differ and people hear things differently. I don't like a warm sound, but the warm sound that i hear from a particular combination may sound more like neutral to someone else.

This is why demoing is the best way to go. If you can't do that, then spending time reading about what are common pairings and filtering that through your sound preferences is the only way you can make a judgment on what to buy.

Gary Parson

Novice Member
Trouble is finding a set of 1010's at the price that richer sounds are doing them for. They dont seem to have any in stock. And the colour of the Diamond 9's dont go to well.. Thought the speakers were gonna be the easy part of my setup hehe..

adam81

Not sure where you are in the country but when I spoke to RS at Cardiff they had Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 set in stock if that helps any?

Think some of them do, I had to phone round a few to get my 1030i I just picked up.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom