1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for the bathroom that sound good.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tracey, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any recommendations for speakers that can be fitted in the ceiling, flush mount, and are suitable for use in a bathroom and sound good? I'm thinking of getting some as I'm about to have my bathroom redecorated. My budget is £100 - £200, actually not sure if I'd be allowed to spend £200 but if they sounded good, mabye I could be persuaded. I'll be running them off a Denon amp 100wpc from the bedroom next door. I doubt I would have the volume very loud but I do want something that sounds good, clear mid range and treble, resonable bass (not tinny). Also is there anything that needs to be done to stop them vibrating, because that would drive me mad! I just wanted to know how good they sound, if they were on par with a decent portable stereo I'd be happy, but if they're going to sound really tinny I may as well just turn up the stereo in my bedroom instead.

2. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do you listen to chamber music then ?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    B&W do some in ceiling speakers, not sure how they would cope with the steam though!!! Kef IIRC do some too. why not try some discrete speakers that can be wall mounted Kef Eggs, Gallo Balls stylie.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    These might be suitable. I think Unbpeatable also used to sell them in black or white to for about the same price.

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions, but I've now been told that I'm only allowed to have them flush mounted in the wall because they won't look nice in the ceiling (and who says women are the fussy ones). so I've been looking at the Sonance Symphony 621T, but they are £199.99 from Hifibitz, right at the top of my budget! Is there a reason why some are 'in wall' and some are 'in ceiling'? would in ceiling speakers not sound right if they were mounted in the wall?

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would use outdoor speakers- moisture in the air will damage the cones and get inside the speaker- and cause the cone to rot.

9. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I would strongly recomend a proper out door speaker in this kind of aplication. If you use a normal speaker it will be OK at first but you can't guarentee how long it will work before it goes soft or corrodes internaly paticullarly if you have a shower fitted in this room.

JAMO make a wall mount outdoor speaker in black or white from about £120 each. They are available from CPC (CPC.co.uk) they also do a large range of other cheaper options the 6.5" 2 way marine speakers should also give an acceptable quality for a bathroom and they are only £17 each. What are you hoping to achieve in your bathroom, given the environment spending alot of money is just going to be a waste unless you can sort out the reflectivity of the surfaces. ( And given that a significant other is involved it seems unlikely that soft wall coverings and sound absorbers are going to be on the cards).

Placement of the speakers is likely to make more overall differance than the absoloute quality. Being in the walls rather then the ceiling is definately a good thing.
    Andy.

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Andy, that does make sense, sounds like I would be better off just getting some cheaper speakers that will sound ok and if they're not that great I haven't wasted my money. I must be the only woman in the world that loves HC and hi-fi but has a boyfriend that can take it or leave it, he's quite happy to spend a fortune on all his drills, sanders, grinders etc. that he NEEDS to get the jobs done though! I shouldn't complain really he has agreed to fit them for me. They will actually be fitted into a piece of marine ply as most of the bathroom will be tiled apart from the top near the ceiling, so I'm limited as to where I can put the speakers. I'll have a look at the Jamo ones though, they sound like they will do the job.

Thanks.

11. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have had a set of car stereo speakers flush mounted into the ceiling of my bathroom for 8 years, still sound as good as the fay I put them in. Just sprayed the speaker grills with spray paint and away you go

12. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got good ventilation and a decent extractor fan so are not bothered about using outdoor speakers, you could take a look at the new Bose 161:

http://www.bose.co.uk/home_audio/music_speakers/model161/

I normally wouldn't go for Bose, but after looking around for ages I've just put a set in our shower room and they sound pretty good. Very neat fixing - can be wall or ceiling mounted in a way that hides the wires and they can be angled. In your budget range too.

HTH

13. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Or for those that don't have any spare amp channels they could do what I've done:

I'm running a pair of Clarion 6.5" marine speakers (white) running off a Clarion CD/MP3 car stereo (using a £40 voltage convertor from CPC) but I've also run all the necessary wiring so I can add a small 6 or 7" TFT screen at the end of the bath to watch sky or whatever.
    The head unit and power supply are located under the stairs and I've also got a wireless remote control extender to link to the bathroom.
    Just listening to a CD in the bath is quality! My bathroom is on the ground floor which means that where the speakers are mounted they effectively use the cavity between floors as a large enclosure so this really helps extend the bass.

Apart from fiddly wiring this system can be achieved very cheaply - the whole thing could be done for well under £200.