Speakers for speech - not too bulky, ideally not too expensive...?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Hello all. I'm considering getting an upgrade from the bundled-for-free Dell speakers I'm currently using with my home PC.

The first question is always "What's your budget?" and my answer is nearly always "I don't know, how much do I need to spend?" :) If you ask me what I am hoping to spend, I might say "around £50". If you ask me how much I could spend if I had to, I might say "anything up to £200-£300".

I'm looking for a sweetspot/diminishing returns point: in order to justify spending £75, what I'm getting for that money needs to be substantially better than what I could get for £50 - not just slightly better but a lot better; and if I'm going to pay £100, what I'd get would have to be substantially better than what I could get for £75; and so on up.

Hope that makes sense!

Criteria:

- They're for a PC, so we are almost certainly talking about active speakers.

- The main thing I'll be using them for is making over-the-Net calls on MSN, Skype, etc. so the ability to reproduce a spoken voice clearly is particularly important. So we need good mid-range and especially clear treble (for the consonant sounds).

- I tend to like to like components that are described as "transparent" or "neutral".

- Loud, distorted bass is annoying; but if the bass is a bit underemphasised, that's probably not a problem.

- I've a mild preference for something that is not too heavy and bulky; so, other things being equal, a simple pair of speakers is probably going to be better than a 2.1 setup; but not if that compromises the treble and midrange.

Suggestions?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
A set of decent desktops rather than the more usual sub/sat combination sounds like what you need. You might want to look at the semi-pro monitor speakers made by Berhinger or M-Audio. These are very neutral and with lighter bass than domestic speakers. These will usually be sold individually, so just order with care.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom