Speakers for semi detached house

gpt

Hi,

Is it worth buying expensive speakers for a semi detached house?

Obviously your always going to be limited a bit with the neighbours so i cant have the speakers very loud anyway. I was previously looking at getting something like the dali zensor 5's or even stretching to rx6's and building up my 5 or 7.1 speaker set slowly.

but part of me is now thinking i will at least be in this house 5 years and am i going to get any extra benefit from a £2000 set compared to a £500 set when i cant even play the volume that loud.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

jason1wood

I'm no expert but the more expensive speakers don't just mean higher volume. You'd be able to play at normal volumes but get clearer sound.

I'd suggest get the best speakers for your budget.

AV Online

AVForums Sponsor
Just like Jason says, you're not necessarily paying for higher power handling but you would expect better clarity of sound at any volume level. The RX6's are great speakers, highly recommend giving them a listen if you can.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Is it worth buying expensive speakers for a semi detached house?

Obviously your always going to be limited a bit with the neighbours so i cant have the speakers very loud anyway. ...

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I'm inclined to agree with what others have already said. The size of your room makes more difference than whether you have neighbors or not, with regard to choosing your speakers.

When people spend more money on a speaker, they instinctively assume they get more ... of something from the speakers. But is is not more volume, but more clarity that you get.

I auditioned some B&W 684/683 along size some B&E CM8 speakers, and the difference was night and day. Most would consider the 600 series a VERY good speakers, and many are very happy to have them, but when compared to the CM, they sounded blurred and fuzzy.

I also found the same thing when I auditioned the 685 bookshelf along side the CM5 bookshelf, in the CM, the clarity was just stunning.

The same was true on another occasion, when I auditioned a series of pretty expensive speakers, and in the process, also auditioned some Mordaunt Short Carnival (rare). Nice as the Carnival sounded on their own, when compared to the more expensive speakers, it sounded like they had been buried in bales of cotton.

Now in discussing these auditions, someone said they compared the B&W CM to the B&W 800 series and felt the jump in clarity and focus was just as great if not greater than the jump between the B&W 600 series and the CM series.

If you are going for a full 5.1/7.1 system, then more than likely it is the bass/Sub that is going to be a problem. There are ways to deal with the Sub/Bass problem depending on the nature of the room itself.

Frequently, the deep thud of the bass is transmitted through solid objects like the floor beams rather than through the air. There are moderate cost isolation platforms that prevent the subwoofer from driving the sound down into the floor and allowing it to be transmitted into the neighbors space.

Again, so many factors are involved in when, where, and how the sound is being transmitted from one space to the other. Do the spaces share common components like floor beams? What is the construction and material of the adjoining wall?

In any case, if this is a modest size room, certainly good bookshelf with a sub will do an excellent job. As much as I like and advocate for floorstanding speakers, for most people, a good bookshelf/sub system is all they really need, and for a fixed budget, you will get much better quality in a bookshelf/Sub over a floorstanding/Sub system.

But to your core question -

"...am i going to get any extra benefit from a £2000 set compared to a £500 set..."

...absolutely there is an advantage, but that advantage is in quality of sound rather than quantity of sound.

Go out and compare some speakers, the Monitor Audio BX to the MA RX, for example, and decide for yourself what the difference is. Or B&W 600 vs CM. Or Dali Concept against Zensor or Ikon. Once you hear great speakers, more common affordable speakers tend to be very disappointing. Still we do the best we can within our budgets.

So, specifically what you choose will depend on a lot of factors - the size of the room, the layout of the room, the construction of the room and the house, the room acoustics, how compact you demand the system to be, and many other considerations.

But, yes, certainly upon weight all the factors, get the best speakers you can afford.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

gpt

Thanks fot tbe responses guys, especially in such detail!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom