Speakers for room

Captain Ted

Established Member
Reaction score
After endless searching I am now at a loss and am looking for your expert advice.

I have a dedicated room 3.5m by 4m with a low ceiling that I use solely for films.

I have quite an old 5.1 all in one system which now needs upgrading starting with the speakers. (the sub will come later).

Where do I look with a budget of around £500 and what power should I be looking for?

Thanks for any replies.
Ted.

hi ted ,try these all in your price range including sub, canton movie cd1
kef kht1005/mordaunt-short genie /plus tannoy fx 5.1 at richer sounds
these are all small speaker sets including subwoofer regards trevor

I recently bought a pair of B&W dm 601 s3 speakers for only 210 pounds here in cyprus and they are exceptional for the price. Real good looks, build quality and sound.

If I were you for your budget i would get a pair of the above. A second hand Rotel, yamaha with whats left along with subwoofer and use your current speakers as rears if they are any good.

My room is around the same, i bought the above speakers, have an 8 year old yamaha amp which has dolby digital, use my old speaker for a centre speaker and the sound is increadible. Especially star wars 3!!

good luck.

I have quite an old 5.1 all in one system which now needs upgrading starting with the speakers. (the sub will come later).

I suggest you don't try to replace the speakers in an all-in-one setup, with some better bookshelf/satellite speakers. All-in-ones tend to be low-powered machines which will struggle to drive "bigger/better" speakers than the ones you have now. You'll only under-drive and damage your new speakers. :(

Rather save up some more cash for a proper new seperates setup or try this Forum's Trading section for a lot of second-hand kit for £500. Get an AV amp and some good 5.0 speakers for now. :smashin:

So I should idealy buy an amp to go with the new speakers at the same time then?

What power should I be looking for?

I wanted more than satellite speakers again (I am assuming floor standing are better sounding).

Ted.

I was given an 8 year old yamaha av amp for free and like it alot, really heavy but quality all over and looks like it would go another 8 years easy.

May someone who knows av amps can lead you there. Generally you would think the less distortion the more it would cost.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom