• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speakers for new TV recommendation

pstones578

Established Member
Just got a new TV for the dining room and could do with some speakers for it. The TV is shown below

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt146/pstones578/TV/PanasonicTV.jpg

The TV has optical out and a 3.5mm headphone jack. The TV is 42" and wall mounted as shown. Ideally we want some slim speakers that we can mount next to the TV just to give the sound a bit more power as the TV speakers aren't great as to be expected. Budget wise nothing crazy as it's not a main TV. No more than £80 I'd say. Can anyone recommend anything please?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The issue is you are going to need some form of amplification to get any speakers to work. A set of 2.1 or 2.0 PC speakers could do the job but these will no be wall mountable and you do not have enough money to afford an amp and pair of onwall speakers. A Soundbar may also be an option but again is going to be a bit bulky under the TV.

pstones578

Established Member
The £80 budget was an arbitrary number I made up so I'm flexible on it. I'm open to spending more but not crazy money for what is not a main telly for us. Can anyone recommend anything that will fit the bill but not for crazy money?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
How slim do the speakers have to be? Do you have space for a small sub unit? Would you have space for an amp?

pstones578

Established Member
How slim do the speakers have to be? Do you have space for a small sub unit? Would you have space for an amp?

Ideally I want sometheing pretty lim that can either go to the left/right of the TV or under/over. Not sure whether I can get a sub or amp passed the mrs as she wants it all super tidy!

samsungderby

Prominent Member

pstones578

Established Member
Save yourself a fortune dont bother with overpriced soundbars a pair of these have done a sterling job for
me for last 6 months ..

Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II Speakers | Ebuyer.com

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm trying to find something that can 'blend in' with the TV on the wall, I'm not too sure where them creative speakers could go that wouldn't look daft. Have you got them mounted or something? Picture?

samsungderby

Prominent Member
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm trying to find something that can 'blend in' with the TV on the wall, I'm not too sure where them creative speakers could go that wouldn't look daft. Have you got them mounted or something? Picture?
Ahh ok yeah .. no my tv is on a stand and the speakers sit behind it ..

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If you use the Headphone out, then the volume levels on your amp/speakers will likely track the TV volume control. However, this is probably not true of any other output. The Digital Audio out is a fixed level, and if you are lucky enough to have Analog Audio Outs, they are also fixed level, meaning changing the volume control does not change the output level.

The speakers I would like to recommend (Audioengine A5+) are too expensive, and probably too big to work in your circumstance. These are high fidelity Active (built-in amps) speaker WITH a remote control.

For the assumed low price you are indicating, I think the best you can do are some good computer speaker plugged into the headphone jack. You should have no trouble wall mounting these, they should be pretty compact, and they will sound better than the built-in speakers, but not by much.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom