1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for music

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stavross, Aug 17, 2004.

1. stavross

stavross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a complete novice to the world of surround sound I desperately need some help!

I am about to take delivery of a Yamaha DSPAX750 and set of Tannoy FX5.1 speakers, which I am hooking up to a Pioneer DV656 DVD. I really want to use the Pioneer to play music as well as DVD and had considered a Pair of MA Bronze B2 speakers to use as fronts, with the spare tannoys as an extra pair of rears. Will they work together?

I have not even heard the combination in action yet as they are being bought for me as a gift, (not complaining,) but I am a little concerned on the effectiveness of the Tannoys to play music at a reasonable level, having said that our living room is fairly small, so they will not need to stretched from that point of view.

Any advice gratefuly received.

2. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, this is not an answer to your question, but when you say that you want to use your Pioneer to listen to music, do you mean cd or DVD-A/SACD ?

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Wouldn't have thought MA and Tannoy would sound good together (IMHO), Two totally different sounding speakers. Doesn't sound like you have to much choice though. They are both of similar size so who knows? Be interested to hear your results. Don't be too harsh to start with they will take 100 hours or so to break in.
    If your listening to CD's through a DVD player (Not DVD-A or SACD) you may be a little disapointed with the results.
    Good Luck

4. stavross

stavross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping to play CD's as well SACD & DVD-A, worth investing in a CD player to hook up to the amp?

The Tannoys come with cable supplied, will spending £50 on 25m of better cable be a worthwhile investment?

5. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the Pioneer 656. It's excellent with DVD-A/SACD, but its performance with cd is not as good as a dedicated cd player. It was well worth the investment in my NAD 541i for playing CDs.

You'll find a lot of comments about speaker cables on forums! I did try some expensive cables but, to be honest, couldn't tell the difference & my B&W 601 S3s are just bi-wired with standard speaker cable.

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Stavross,
    personally (And I stress this is only my opinion!) I would invest in a seperate CD Player. Due to the differences between CD's and DVD's etc. I have not found a DVD or combo system that can compare to a straight CD player. The best I've heard are the LINN Unidisk (6.5K and TAG Mclaren AVR30 (Not sure of the model but it's the 4.5K one) neither of these compared to a 1K CD player with a decent DAC when playing standard CD's. Put some SACD through either one and it's a totally different story.
    If your like me and most of your music is on CD then a seperate CD player would be a sound (Depending on your budget and how fussy you are) investment.
    With regards to the speaker cable (Again my opinion) I would invest in some decent banana plugs and Cat 5 (Network) cable and make my own, especially for long runs. There are lots of usefull links in the cables section of this forum for making your own cables. It's cheaper and better than anything you can buy up to the £50 a metre gear. It will certainly sound better than £2 per metre cable.
    If you don't do this, you want to try and get cables the same or similar to the ones that come with your tannoys. Thus keeping the charactor of the system the same. Different cables can alter this.
    Hope this helps