1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for Music

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rob.Screene, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As you may or amy not know, I've got an AV system in a converted garage.

Since having a dedicated room, I find I'm enjoying 2-ch music more and more. I'm looking for recommendations for secondhand speakers in the £300-£800 price range.

I prefer the thought of secondhand kit because it seems better value, mid-end speakers don't seem to have changed that much over the years and if I don't like them, I probably won't lose much selling them on. I prefer the thought of that against dealer demos with rooms that sound nothing like my own.

I currently have a pair of Linn Index II's on ku-stone stands and a particularly clean tunefull (imho) SVS active subwoofer http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/svs-25-31-pci-subwoofer-12-2002.html

For my taste in music, CD's I've been listening to;
    Jamiroquai, Stevie Wonder, Dire Straits, Macy Gray, Seal, Morcheeba, Dido, Craig David, Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Sheryl Crow, U2 and Sting, oh and Aimee Mann.

I think I'm looking for more mid/mid-bass clarity and enjoyment. The "follow the tune" in Linn speak. My technical head knows I've got a 250Hz trough in the in-room response and that the Index's could be considered a little bright.

I also have another pair of Linn Index II's as rear speakers, although for AV surround front to rear identical voicing doesn't appear to be as important to me as I thought it would, so I'm not particularly tied to the Linn brand technically, although I like the thought of it. It's my assumption that with 5.1 channel music releases becoming more common and better made that 5.1 channel music may become more the norm long-term, but let's face it, I really enjoy 2 channel and have hundreds of CD's so that's what I'll want to get the most use of. I find it strange sitting on-stage with the performers with a piano behind me, plus the room gives me a good enough depth and rear acoustic with 2-channel any way.

This is currently driven by a relatively honest 125W/ch Denon A10SE THX Ultra AV amp (as confirmed by the late great Bob Tomalski review) which is relatively good with music for the breed, and a Denon 2-ch POAT-10 THX Ultra power-amp of similar spec and quality, so I think I'd be ok with reasonably difficult to drive loads. I'd one day like to replace these with high-end pre/power but frankly it's so good, I think I could realise a big speaker upgrade before tackling the amplification.

I guess I'm saying, I buy in to the activ, bi-amping ideas and will probably go that way in the near future.

I'm also going to audition some BlueSky SAT 6.5 active (bi-amped internally) monitors http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p3s1s1.html sometime soon, which would cost the upper limit of my budget including the power sockets and long audio cables I'd have to run where I currently have bi-wire speaker cables.

The room itself is relatively good acoustically, having a soundproofed wall where the garage door is, although the front main speakers do have to go near the conrners, each side of the 7ft projection screen. I may also add some Auralex LERND bass traps in the corners and Wedgies or the like on some of the walls or something similar to deaden the reflections a bit more some time.

So, your experience and comments would be appreciated.

thanks and regards,
    Rob.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    You can get a second hand pair of B&W Nautilus 805s for £800 (just). Pretty nice, IMO.

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the recommendation Nicholas.

In your auditioning explits, have you ever listened to the mid-range Linns like the Keilidh or Kaber?

I've had the Linn Index II's for about 14 years, although now can't imagine running them without a good active sub, but am really out-of touch with modern high-quality speakers.

thanks and regards,
    Rob.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Rob.....I had a pair of Keildih's for several years,in passive,biamped,and active forms over that time....both the Keilidh and Kaber are now superceded models,but can still be excellent speakers,especially when used with the stone bases,which massively improve the sound,as does using them with active crossovers.
    For my tastes,the Kabers were a bit slow in the bass,but more extended,which is why I chose the Keilidh's for a tighter sound.

Some of the newer models in that range are very good also,with a clearer mid and treble,but the same basic character remains.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you could get a sh pair of celestion A2's also at that money (you might even get a new pair if you can find them). Im not sure of whether they might be too much for the amp though

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the help guys,

I'm hopefully picking up a pair of upgraded Linn Keilidhs with the optional ku-stone plinths on Saturday.

I hope these have the 1996 SPKR 015/3 or SPKR 015/5 tweeter units (Ninka?) which are vaguely mentioned on the Linn site. Linn customer services have confirmed the latest Keilidh upgrade is 2x SPKR 015/5 dealer fit upgrade.

I'll have to wait and see.

Anyone know how to tell the tweeter revision?

I'd love some of the more esoteric standmounters, but I know they'd be twice the cost including stands and I get the feeling they'd require a pre/power amp upgrade very quickly because of their no-compromise passive crossovers having low impedence.

I have high hopes for enjoying the Keilidhs, perhaps with some Auralex type room treatments with the cash I haven't needed to shell out as I have to have the speakers pretty close to the front side-wall corners to go beside the projection screen.

regards,
    Rob.

7. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PMC FB1 are superb floorstanders, excellent value s/h.
    If you like Linn then the AV1450, i think that's the model, down from 2k to around 7-800 s/h also.