1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for Music and HC?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Operandi, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anybody help please?

I'm setting up a dedicated music and HC room and am now looking to buy the speakers for a 7.1 system that will be good for music (2 & multi channel) as well as HC.

The room dimensions are only 12x12 feet so speaker size & placement is critical - the front speakers will have to go either against the screen wall or pretty close to it. I use a Meridian 568 processor and Chord amps and I have some speakers already:

M&K VX100 sub
    M&K SS150THX tripoles (which I might sell if they do not fit in with the rest of the speakers).

I have tried the M&K 125's for LCR, but they were not good enough for music (but brilliant for HC) and Dynaudio 1.3's which are fantastic all round, but need to be too far from the wall so would not work in the room. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks!

2. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

Thanks for the advice. I know your shop in Rayleigh pretty well, in fact I was in it last Saturday! I am in Rayleigh again this Saturday so maybe I could arrange a dem with you, however it would only be fair to buy them from my existing dealer who has loaned me the 125's (and who is now suggesting that I try the B&W N805's).

You said:

Failing this, check out the S150's as these are awesome for music. With the calibre of gear you have, it is important to go for the right speaker package

I borrowed a pair of these with the MX700 sub from your Lakeside branch a couple of years ago. We found that although the imaging and dynamics were good, they were not as musical as our existing speakers, and the directivity issue ruled them out completely. Unfortunately in our new HC room, the directivity would also be an issue as we would want friends to hear the soundstage too. Your thoughts about the sub are welcome, although I wonder if another VX100 would work as well. I have still got the 125's on loan but when we were listening to them last night it didn't appear to be lack of control or speed of the sub but the overall presentation of the music (too dry and un-involving) that was causing the problem. In fact we turned the system off after about half an hour.

I know it's not a problem with the rest of the gear as the same setup in our living room with the Dynaudio's was stunning - one of the best setups I've heard. Unfortunately moving the Dyn setup to the HC room collapsed the soundstage completely unless the speakers were virtually in the middle of the room!

3. daveaphillips

daveaphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

How about borrowing a VX100 then? I'm sure your regular dealer has one, this would be a considerable improvement!

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

4. daveaphillips

daveaphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

I think you should re-audition the S125's with a bigger sub. Something like to MX700 or even the MX350 works a treat with the S125's, this is exactly what we use in our demo room, and is sound fantastic on both HC and music.
    Failing this, check out the S150's as these are awesome for music. With the calibre of gear you have, it is important to go for the right speaker package.
    The SS150's are an excellent surround speaker, and you would do well to purchase another pair of them for 7.1. Ask your local dealer to loan you the S125's with the MX350, I think this will transform the system, especially for music.

Let me know how it goes!