Speakers for marantz sr8500

E

emjee

Hi,
I am new here. This is my first post so I hope you can help :)

Recently I have upgraded my av receiver + dvd to a marantz sr8500 + dv9500 and now it is time to upgrade my speakers . Currently I am using the B&W 600 series but I really like to new B&W 804s! Haven't heard them yet.

Is my receiver powerful enough to enjoy these speakers or are there beter options that I should listen to

I hope you can help me

Emjee

I wouldn't go for the 800 series from B&W because these are very power hungry speakers and the receiver isn't powerful enough.
What is the budget?

The marantz has the option to bi-amp. Will this help?
My budget is about 3000-4000 euro

I it has to be B&W 700 series may be a good match!

What about the new XT series?

The XT look great but I haven't heard anything about their performance. They are very "thin" so I'm not sure about the bass performance. I use my receiver about 70% just for music so perhaps the XT will fine. Do you kneow the price of the XT?

The 700 series has a great bass too. These are high level speakers and as a result produce good bass.

I too am looking for a speaker match for the SR8500 - this amp on pure direct stereo does sound a tad bassey to me (currently I use KEF Q60, cira 1992). So I wonder between the B+W 704 or standmounted 705. Would anyone have any suggestions? Or, perhaps a move down to the KEF Q5s? They seem to be strong in midrange, perhaps a little weak in bass but therein perhaps a good match for this amp. Any comments much appreciated.

Allways demo them...

May I suggest Quad L series?

Never heard Quad before but I will have a look.
They recommended me Piega (P5 mkII )as well but I haven't find a dealer yet

Sorry... for the SR8500 don't forget to hear the MA RS series too!

Those are my 2 best advices, Quad L and MA RS.

Thx for trhe pointer. Will be sure to follow up the MA rs. I did listen to the Quad L21 hooked up to an Arcam Solo the other day - I found them perhaps a little short on mid although punchy on base (basically the exact opposite of the Kef Q7 which I auditioned at the same time). Tricky stuff. I notice you don't mention B&W - not a good match in your view for the SR8500?

I don't like B&W sound except 700 and 800 series with carefully matched electronics...

But maybe Marantz could be the only japanese electronics to match them... for those who like them...

12L / 11L + Lcenter + 11L / L-ite + good sub can be a very good system with the SR85000!

Kef and Quad produce rather opposite sound. Thus, most people don't like both speakers no matter the bass\mid they produce.

700 series floorstanders will give a better bass than 800 series bookshelves. Monitor Audio and Kef are weaker alternatives at my opinion but still worth the check. Another company you should check is Focal-JM Lab. It's speakers go well with Marantz recievers.

Thx for that everyone - and it would seem I am in the ballpark with the Quad/KEF view. Got to say that it is the SR8500 that is the problem really - great DD performance, questionable stereo. So, I am terrified of splashing our on speakers and winding up with the same rather compressed performance. More boxed bass from floorstanders would not be a good match for this amp imho. Am leaning towards KEF Q5 - strong mid etc etc and deals to be had as pretty well end of line. Otherwise Quad and B&W bookshelves may creep into the equation. I suppose, wash my mouth out with soap and water, might have to revert to adjusting the bass and trebble controls....

For what its worth and I do suggest you audition at home but I had Q5's with Q center, and the dipole surronds. I recently sold the lot and bought B&W 705's...I am much more happier, eh thats an understatement lol

I've listened to several speakers today. Didn't like the Dynaudio (focus, 72se) at all. The music was very laid back and it seemed to be in the speaker and not around it.

Liked the b&w704 and 804s very much. The 804s was the most musical speaker but also the most expensive one
I have to go the next back to do some more listening. It's a dirty job... :devil:

emjee said:
The XT look great but I haven't heard anything about their performance. They are very "thin" so I'm not sure about the bass performance. I use my receiver about 70% just for music so perhaps the XT will fine. Do you kneow the price of the XT?
Prices in this months What Hi-Fi,
XT4 3-way floorstander = £1699
XT2 2-way design = £699
XTC centre channel = £549
PV1 sub = £950

tooks said:
Prices in this months What Hi-Fi,
XT4 3-way floorstander = £1699
XT2 2-way design = £699
XTC centre channel = £549
PV1 sub = £950
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The XT price is in between the 704 and 703 but is the performance the same? It's a 3 way speaker (also the 703) but the 704 is 2.5

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom