Speakers for Marantz 5400

toadie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Really need some advice on which speakers to buy for a Marantz 5400. I'm curently looking at either Mission m34 or Mission M35 at the moment. Not sure which ones to get.

Would either of these speakers suit the marantz or is there a better patnership to be had ?

Thanks in advance

Toadie...

ps. Only looking for the front 2 speakers out the mo. Looking to get the centre and rears and sub in a few weeks time.

I would go for Quad 11L or B&W 602/603

Do you really need floor standers if you are buying a sub?

I like my setup with standmounts as the sub compliments them well and imho there is a lot more control over the sound. (Get some decent stands too - Nexus 6 should do the job for ~£50)

I use B&Ws with my Marantz and they are a good match.

I think the Missions could sound a little harsh with an AV amp - to trebly.

Give a few a try on the amp somewhere - pretty common components so should be easy enough :)

thanks for that. It's just the floorstanders just look like meater speakers. The standmount speakers look really small to me, and they dont look like they would sound to clever when using in stereo mode.

But then again i'm probably wrong. I would imagine anything has got to be better than my current system. Sony DAV 880.

Out of interest what SUB/rears and centre are you using with the B&W

cheers

toadie

Got B&W LC60 S3 centre
Some Eltax 120Watt FLoorstander rears

and BK XLS200 sub.

Using this in stereo (Just fronts and sub) will go as loud as you like. So I wouldn't worry about limiting yourself to floorstanders if you are geting a decent sub too.

Have you thought about either buying standmounts and decent sub...or going other way and spending more on the fronts and going without sub?

Just an idea :)

I am really happy with standmounts for fronts now as I notice a difference with controlling them over floorstanders and like the clarity.

I have a 5200 (older version) and just auditioned Monitor Audio Silver 6/1/LCR and Kef Q5/Q9c/Q2DS - I went for the MA as I felt they were much more clear and rounded - the Kef's were really good, just not as good in my mind. In addition the cabinets on the MAs are streets ahead of the Kefs - real wood veneer ... the Kefs cabinets look a bit cheap for the money...

Very pleased

PS also run BK XLS200 sub - also very pleased!

I took my amp to the shop for the extensive (3 hours) auditions!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Been looking at the B & W 700 series. Really nice speakers, shame they are out of my price range really. They look really nice, but I guess whats more important is how they souind.

Now I know after writing this next bit, im gonna get called an idiot or smth, but im not going to demo any of these speakers. Which is why i really want the opions of you guys on the forums and what your running with the Marantz SR5400 ( or similar Marantz ) Just cant belive out of everyone one the forum that there is only you 2 guys with the Marantz.

I want the best speakers i can get for this amp, so I don't have to then upgrade in a few months or a years time etc.

thanks

Toadie

I have a 5200 (older version) and just auditioned Monitor Audio Silver 6/1/LCR and Kef Q5/Q9c/Q2DS - I went for the MA as I felt they were much more clear and rounded - the Kef's were really good, just not as good in my mind. In addition the cabinets on the MAs are streets ahead of the Kefs - real wood veneer ... the Kefs cabinets look a bit cheap for the money...

Very pleased

PS also run BK XLS200 sub - also very pleased!

I took my amp to the shop for the extensive (3 hours) auditions!

Missions, Mordaunt Short and Monitor Audio speakers will all go well with your choice of receiver. You really need to hear them in order to get the best sound for your ears. I personally run a 4300 with Mission M70 range of speakers and am very happy with my setup.

BTW I would suggest you put your name down for a XLS200 subwoofer. Great sub and can't be beaten for the money.

As both a manufacturer and on a personal level, have had good results with the Mordaunt Short 914 on the 5x00 series of amps. The 914 has received a 5 star review in the latest WHF to complement the one it received about a year ago in HiFi Choice.

Hi guys, thanks for your posts.

I was origanly going to go with Mission M34 or Mission M35, but have been told there isnt really any need to have floorstanders when running a Sub.

What kind of money should I be spending for the front 2 speakers on the SR5400 ? an average price will do. I mean I was thinking around the £500, would this be a good starting point ?

My first love here is movies, which is moslty what the system will be used for, but also want decent stereo too.

Cheers

Toadie

PS. Any body got a link for the BK XLS200 as I cant seem to find it. ( ta )

If you do a search of XLS200 using the engine at the top of this screen all will be revealed.

4200 on M7 series here and it's quite good. Collected my Velodyne this morning so it should be superb once I have time to wire it up.

Try out M34s with M32 rears; if you need more slam a modest sub doesn't hurt. Be sure to try out bi-wiring with Mission speakers; they're built to need it (sleeping with cable manufacturers no doubt)

Hi alextgreen, I will defo be getting a SUb, just not yet, in a few weeks time probs. This system will be primary used for AV. Just starting with the amp and 2 front speakers for a couple of weeks.

So as im getting a sub, should I not bother with getting floorstanders and just go with standmount speakers ?

Cheers

Toadie

Hi guys,

I too am interested in the Marantz sr5400 amp. I was wondering if the MS premiere speakers would be a good match. They are rated at 4ohms, however the unit accepts 6-8ohms. I am a bit confused :-(

Anyone any experience of audio dropout on this amp. I have read somewhere that this may be a problem?

Is there any other amps I should consider.

Sorry for all the questions but thank you for your help

Pclarke

Hi everyone,

I am about to get a Marantz sr5400 and MS premiere speakers but before I do...........

Has anyone got a picture of these speakers in there home setup on stands. I have seen them in showrooms, etc but wondered what they look like intergrated into the home.

What stands can I use.

Thanks in advance

PCLARKE

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom