1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for Linn Classik?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by simonk, Aug 24, 2004.

1. simonk

simonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, first posting here, so be gentle!

I'm pretty much set on upgrading my current Cambridge Audio A5 / D500 + tuner setup to a Linn Classik - the price seems right, the reviews seem overwhelmingly positive, and of course it cuts down the box count!

My current speakers are Acoustic Energy Evo Ones, which I'm happy with under the current setup - maybe the only downside is that while the bass seems very strong for such a small (and cheap!) speaker, it gets a bit wooly from time to time, though whether this is actually the speakers, or the amp/CD, who knows ...

Anyway, my question: are these speakers a suitable pairing for the Classik, or should I really be looking at upgrading? Obviously you can always have better speakers, but I don't want to be shelling out for the Classik if the AEs are going to mask much of the improvement in the source. I don't have huge wads of cash to spend, so if an upgrade was on the cards I'd probably be looking at speakers in the sub-£400 bracket. I play a wide variety of music, some classical, some mainstream indie/rock stuff, and quite a lot of DJ sets, drum and bass and Warp-records-style electronica. Neighbour constraints mean I can't crank up the volume too loud, so thunderous performance with the dial "turned up to 11" isn't all that important.

Being a bit new to all of this (previous audio buys have involved wandering into Richers and saying "I'll have one of those please") I feel a little bit "exposed" when dealing with hifi dealers, who naturally are out to make a sale, so any advice the forum could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Simon

PS: Peter Tyson have a number of package deals on Castle speakers (e.g. Richmond, Durham) - are these worth looking at?

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked a Peter Tyson's deals on Linn speakers too Simon?

Linn suggest the Unik to partner the Classik although I've not heard them myself. I use a pair of new Kans as rears in my system (Keilidhs and Trikan at the front) which I bought a couple of months ago and I've been thoroughly impressed with them - sweet, detailed treble and a surprising bass response for such a small speaker. I'd have a look if you want to stick in the Linn stable, IIRC they were going for something like £270.

3. simonk

simonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    deckard - Yeah, they were selling the Kans until a few months back, apparently, but now they're discontinued. That would have been a good option - from Googling it looks like the Classik and Kans were pretty much designed to go together.

Unfortunately the only all-Linn offering that PT have at the moment is the Classik with a pair of Katans, which is probably pushing things a bit budget-wise

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Simonk,
    Welcome to the LINN sound! Your moving up to a whole new world with the Classik, My advice to you is try the speakers you have. They will sound a lot different. If you like it stick with it. If not any of the speakers mentioned so far would be good. Another excellent pairing would be the PMC DB1. (£499) Quite small stand mount packing a big punch with excellent soundstage and good bass response. A good all rounder. The Quad 12L (£499) is also a very nice speaker, possibly not quite as dynamic as the PMC's. This is of course assuming you want stand mounts.
    Incidently, what CD are you using at the moment?
    Hope this helps.

5. simonk

simonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! Actually, I've done just that - just put the phone down to Peter Tyson, having forked out for a Classik without speakers (but with a pair of Grado SR80s for private listening). I'll stick with the AE Evo Ones and see how it goes. PT were selling the Classik for £749, which seemed like a pretty good deal: Sevenoaks were after £899 if you didn't want speakers.

Didn't make it particularly clear in my original post: my current equipment is a Cambridge Audio A5 amp, a Cambridge D500 CD player, and a cheapo Acoustic Solutions DAB tuner (I figured that DAB is so compressed that shelling out for anything fancier would probably be a bit of a waste). They, along with some cheap Wharfedale speakers were my first separates after years of midi-system hell, and something of a revelation. When I ditched the original Wharfedale speakers for the AEs things improved hugely, so touch wood, the Linn will move things on even further. Anyway, the whole lot's going on eBay now, roll on tomorrow morning when the delivery man comes!

A mate has the Quads with his NAIM system and rates them hugely, so I'll see how I get on, and maybe pencil them in for the next payrise...

Cheers,
    Simon

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A slippery slope you've got yourself on. :laugh: I'd look to adding a seperate DAC to the CD player as the next move. Really give the LINN something to work with.
    Have fun...

7. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance you could borrow the Quads for a day or 2? :D

However, you might be surprised by how much better your AEs sound with the Linn in charge :D

8. simonk

simonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the Classik arrived yesterday, so I was up till about 3am annoying the neighbours and trying out all my CDs. I'm very, very impressed - so many of my discs sound completely different. The amount of detail that my previous setup was missing is staggering. And now I've got one tiny sleek box in place of 3 great monsters.

Now, about those speaker cables ...

9. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thinking about one of these myself to get rid of my 2 boxes beind a nad c370 and nad c541i. only thing is i'm not sure if the quality would be as good. any one any comparisons before i try it for myself?

10. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Avi Neutrons at a tad under £500 a pair sound delicious with the classik. Small bookshelf speakers with a lovely voice. Worth a listen or borrow for a home dem if you can

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Airdrawn,
    LINN will walk all over NAD sonically and in build quality. It is however a very distinct sound. Not to everyones tastes.
    Good luck

12. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This term might seem hackneyed now, but I consider the Linn sound to be all about "musicality". The performance of the musicians seems to be more obvious, whilst hi-fi concepts like "stage depth" are secondary. That is why not everyone likes Linn, IMO.

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well put Nikyzf.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Knightshade

I think the 'Build' quality statement would need to be 'quantified' - you don't have to look too far to find a fair few disgruntled folk who are unhappy with the fan noise a lot of the Classik units can produce.

simonk

I'd install the new Amp and then go looking for your perfect speaker and then go find the means to afford it - and as others have suggested Linn speakers 'voice' well with Linn electronics.

Best regards

Joe

15. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Joe,
    It seems I've walked into a fairly contentious issue here....
    Your quite right. Perhaps I should've put 'in my opinion' :laugh:
    But seriously, pick up a product made by LINN and compare it to one made by NAD. The difference is there. The LINN just has that little bit of extra finishing.
    I've never owned NAD but perhaps a thread entitled 'What has the best build quality?' or 'Which will last the longest?' may be usefull to people as well as what will sound the best?
    Knight

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello Knightshade

The Linn sound is one I enjoy and have owned for many years - I've had a few LP12's and have a MIMIK/MAJIK/TUKAN system that's used every day in my office - keeps me sane when replying to posts :)

I have to say too that NAD has a very big following and have always had a big reputation for being 'bullet proof' - in the opinion of NAD owners; just a pity the designers stick with that 'look' :)

Best regards

Joe