speakers for dinning room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by midlife_crisis, Mar 13, 2006.

1. midlife_crisis

midlife_crisis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I've read thought several threads and quickly found that's there's some very knowledgeable people in the forum, So, here my first post, I'm looking for some advice on speakers and will listen to any advice given.

This is currently what I've got in the dinning room. The center of the av is a HP Pavillion m7270 http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/35123-35527-39847-39847-39847-12254044-66123061.html and the spec gives this regarding the audio:

Internal audio
    Intel® High Definition Audio 7.1

Audio connectors
    3 front audio ports, 6 rear analog audio ports & 2 rear digital audio ports

The PC is connected to an LG 32" LCD via DVI and the sound is hooked up via a 3.5mm cable.

I also hook up my xbox 360, which connects to the TV via a HD component cable and has an optical connector, which i don't use at the minute.

I've also got a Roku soundbridge m1000 which is connected to an old Philips stereo.

These are my thoughts about the kit. The roku and Phillips stereo sound good but are bulky and I'd like to free up the space and either maintain or increase the sound quality. The obvious answer to this is to play the MP3's though the PC, and this brings me to the quality of the speaker in the TV. The TV is great for watching TV and the sound is OK, but I think it could be a lot better.

My thoughts are that I could do with some better speakers and that would allow me to listen to my MP3's via the PC and move the soundbridge to another room. The TV would sound better and so would the xbox.

The dinning room is fairly small, without measuring it I guess it's 4m wide and 8m long the tv is on the chimney breast in the middle of the 8m wall and the pc is in the fireplace. It's all on a wireless network, but this is likely to change, but as it means getting under the floor to drop network cables in it's not at the top of list of priorities.

My budget, it's not limited, but at the minute I can't justify an endless spend on it. I would prefer a modular upgrade approach. I'm not interested in lots of speaker in the room, as it is the dinning room and is used as such.

Ok guys and gals, what are your thoughts. What should I, could I consider?

2. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I think there are a couple more questions before you get some opinions.
    What sort of speakers do you want, recessed, wall or ceiling? sub/sat, traditional? Are you going to continue the amplification through your old philips stereo?and although you say your budget is not limited one persons limit is not the same as another. What do you want to spend?

3. midlife_crisis

midlife_crisis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, what type of speakers? I have no preference though I guess wall speakers will be easier to mount, though there will be wires trailing around the room.

Regarding the amplification, I don’t intend to continue using the old Philips stereo as it fairly big and I’d like to de-clutter a bit. Having said that, if it makes sense to use it for the time being and upgrade it later that’s not a problem.

On the budget front, I’ve looked at some Tanouy(?) and Canton speakers and they seem to be around £300 which seems ok. In the living room I’ve got a Demon 5.1 cinema system that was £500, and I’m really happy with that.