Speakers for Denon Micro RCD-M41

DC1979

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. . . I have a Denon RCD-M41 micro system in the bedroom (bought as unit only) and would like to upgrade the old 25W Sony speakers which I kept from an old micro unit which crapped out. I have shortlisted the following as I want to spend no more than £200. Has to be available in the UK:

Dali Spektor 2 (£200 / 100 watts)
Dali Spektor 1 (£159 / 100 watts)
Q Acoustics 3020 (£120 / 75 watts)
Wharfedale Diamond 220 (£99 / 100 watts)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 (£59 / 75 watts)
Mordaunt Short M20 (£99 / 80 watts)
Mordaunt Short M10 (£59 / 80 watts)

I've seen mention here and there about the Dali Zensor 1 too, but am not sure if that's been discontinued.

The bedroom is quite big but I will mostly be within a metre or so of the speakers. It will be played mostly at 'reasonable' volume, and unlikely to be really cranked unless the neighbours are out! I believe speakers like the Dali Spektor have lower sensitivity (84.5 for Spektor 2, 83 for Spektor 1) so don't truly shine at lower volumes, is that fair to say? Would i be better with the likes of the Q Acoustics 3020 (88) for the system I am using, being close to the speakers and not requiring massive volume? I am aware that there is also the 3020i but it's more than I want to pay really. Just want something that is a good all-rounder, that works well with the system.

Any thoughts appreciated on the above or others I should consider, thanks.

I’d consider a pair of point source Kefs for one meter or so listening position and you’ll not do better than these for your budget.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Until recently was running one in a bedroom with Roth Oli RA 1 - great combination.

Thanks, I think I’d rather go with something new though. I’ve seen the odd comment about the Q Acoustics 3020 ‘lacking in bass.’ Any thoughts on that?

Also, whilst it’s good to do ones’ research, I have a tendency to overthink things and have been taking far too long to decide on this, so have told myself to get the hell on with it and order some speakers by next weekend at the latest.

I am not an audiophile, just want something that sounds as good as possible for the money. So am I overthinking the Dali Spektor sensitivity thing? I mean they have 5 star reviews so must be really good surely? Thanks

Thanks, I think I’d rather go with something new though. I’ve seen the odd comment about the Q Acoustics 3020 ‘lacking in bass.’ Any thoughts on that?

Also, whilst it’s good to do ones’ research, I have a tendency to overthink things and have been taking far too long to decide on this, so have told myself to get the hell on with it and order some speakers by next weekend at the latest.

I am not an audiophile, just want something that sounds as good as possible for the money. So am I overthinking the Dali Spektor sensitivity thing? I mean they have 5 star reviews so must be really good surely? Thanks

The Denon is not a powerhouse, nor does it have a great power supply. So the Spektors may well not be a good choice.

I have an older denon (dm39?) and had previous generation Mission lx1 (non Mark 2) which sound very good. Easy to position and not lacking in bass.

Q acoustics Concept 20 are generally reduced at the moment. A lot of people like them. Don’t worry about what is written about stands. They work well on cheaper stands or on shelves/tables as long as you can give them a bit of space.

Q acoustics Concept 20 are generally reduced at the moment. A lot of people like them. Don’t worry about what is written about stands. They work well on cheaper stands or on shelves/tables as long as you can give them a bit of space.
They are good but they are Monitor Audio silver 50 rivals. The denon wont be as good as a cyrus one amp.

Thanks everyone. Hope this is not going too far off topic, but wanted to ask about banana plugs too. I have always just pushed the bare speaker cables into the back of the speaker then closed the pressurised clamp button thing over it. I figure it may be a good idea to order some banana plugs whilst I am ordering speakers. Any particular recommendations for banana plugs & cable for the Denon micro system? Thanks all

Banana plugs are not necessary snd won't make the system sound better, unless you need the convenience.

Thanks all. In the end I have gone for the Dali Spektor 2. Numerous outlets pair up Denon Micros with these in a bundle, so I guess they must work well together or it wouldn't be such a seemingly popular combo.

Now looking at cables & plugs. Seen good things about Van Damme Blue 2.5mm cable, and noticed that Mark Grant Cables do terminated lengths of these. (Presume it's ok to mention that, if not I am sure it will be removed anyway!) All I need is 2 x 1 Metre lengths. It seems a good option to get them ready-made with plugs attached rather than me order plugs and have to faff about myself.

So the banana plugs are mainly for convenience and to stop you stabbing your fingers with wire? I am trying to decide whether to go Banana - Banana, Bare Wire - Banana, or just plain Bare Wire. Any thoughts? I guess it's generally plugging into the back of the system itself that's more fiddly, so perhaps Banana at that end and Bare Wire at speaker end is a good compromise? Thanks all for your input

Bare wire takes a little more time but seriously, Amazon’s choice speaker wire is absolutely fine. Something like this I reckon - I bought 80 ft of it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/electrosmart-Quality-2-5mm²-Speaker-Cable/dp/B006RHF1RC

Personally, I think £120 for the QA 3020 is a steal. Great value at that price. My first dip in the world of hifi type stuff was a Marantz MCR 510 (similar power to your Denon) driving some QA 2020i. Sounded great and went loud enough for parties

Sorry. Just noticed I was late!

Personally, I think £120 for the QA 3020 is a steal. Great value at that price. My first dip in the world of hifi type stuff was a Marantz MCR 510 (similar power to your Denon) driving some QA 2020i. Sounded great and went loud enough for parties

Sorry. Just noticed I was late!

No problem, thanks anyway. Actually I drew that shortlist up some time ago and when I looked the other day, the 3020’s are around £150 now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom