1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for denon avr-1803

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kirth, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Kirth

Kirth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Been browsing for a while now, and decided it's time I ask and see what people think.

Right now, I have a denon avr-1803, with a M&K center that I borrowed from a guy at work. The fronts + rears arnt even worth mentioning as they are bits I re-used from random things!

Now, what to replace them all with ?

I just looked at something like this:

2x Mordaunt short 902A (front + rear) - 149.90 each
    MS905A center - 119.90
    MS907A or MS309A sub - 219.90 / 215.90

this comes to somewhere near 669pounds roughly. Now, I'd be buying this bit by bit (I think anyway), most likely starting with sub + rear's. I dont have a sub atm, and the rear's I'm using are rated 15w... and really poor!

So, I'm asking :

1. What does that set up look like to you ?
    2. What possible alternatives (better?) are there for roughly same level of price.

Then the next fun comes with cables/front stands ;)

Cheers

2. Kirth

Kirth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also... had a look at teh KEF KHT-2005.2 Home Cinema System or the MS Avant plus system...

Better off just buying one of them perhaps ? (Since it's obvious I dont know much about this all). The KEF gets good reviews, although I'm not sure about the looks ;)

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    You might want to look at this months What HiFi which tests an Avant pack of 904's, 905 and 903's with a 309 for £780. It gets the proverbial thumbs up and would be very similar to the first pack you mention. The KEF KHT bits are are tour de force in home cinema terms but I would be confident that the MS pack would beat it for music and be well capable of handling an amp upgrade should that happen (and it generally does).

The best advice I could give is of course- listen to both ;).

4. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try listening to the Acoustic Energy Aegis 3B package - got mine 6 months ago and I have been well impressed by them - got them from Sound & Vision for £700.