1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for CD, alongside AV floorstanders?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by alfablue, Jul 24, 2004.

1. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer VSX-D812 AV receiver, Pio 656 DVD, Eltax Chroma surround speakers (front floorstanders, surrounds, centres front and rear, plus sub), Cambridge Audio 640C CD player, and an Arcam Alpha 6 Amp, rega 3 turntable. I have QED silver anniversary / airloc speaker cables, and Mark Grant interconnects. My room is about 5m x 4.5m with very high ceilings & few soft furnishings (if that's relevant).

I am very happy with the DVD sound, but wanted to improve the music - hence the Arcam Amp / Cambridge CD in preference to the Pio setup.

I wanted to run the front pre-out from the receiver through the Arcam, but the Pio will only power the preouts if all speakers are disconnected from the speaker terminals (how annoying and pointless!).

I therefore have to switch the speaker cables, at the speakers if I want to switch to the Arcam for CD (which sounds better to my ears).

I am thinking of buying some speakers to run straight from the Arcam for music, and placing them alongside the Eltax floorstanders which I would still use for DVD and TV. (I could obviously just replace the Eltax, but I would still need to swap cables when I change sources).

I have 4 questions:

1) are there any issues about placing speakers like this?
    2)with a budget of approx £400 (for speakers inc. stands, or floorstanders)what would be suitable recommendations for the Arcam / Cambridge audio setup?
    3) Could I expect an appreciable improvement for that outlay?
    4) or should I ditch the Arcam, replace the Eltax fronts, and run the Cambridge CD through the CD input on the Pio?

Or is there another approach to this "problem"

Many thanks

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Replace the front speakers with Acoustic Energy Evo 3 and centre and get a speaker switch box for the speakers and some more silver ani cable and just wire it all up. Then you can just use the switch box to change inputs for the speakers.
    www.maplins.co.uk
    do one. Look at Severn oaks for the Evo as they had them at £250 instead of the average of £300 and you can pick the centre up for approx. £110.

3. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Dfour - that may be the answer - and I have heard good things about the evo's

4. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had similar thoughts!

Decided to keep the Rega/Arcam/Audiolab/Mission770 as a separate system.
    Then used the 868/AX5/Fs1 just for movies.

B.

[​IMG]

5. rd350ypvs

rd350ypvs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yep, can't go wrong with the evo3's :clap:

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Dump the Pioneer and get a new receiver with more flexible pre-outs?

7. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, thats an idea i guess - had it 6 months now so its old!... maybe throwing good money after bad? (well the Pio is good, no complaints at all on AV performance...just this issue that I never anticipated)

But thats what i need - a bit of lateral thinking :thumbsup: