1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for around £600

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wallzy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i am currently upgrading my whole surround sound system i brought my amp its a pioneer VSX-1014 and i was wondering if some one could recomend me some speakers that would match this amp for around £600

thanks for your help

Wallzy

2. Bobby Luvin

Bobby Luvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want top quality floorstanders then i would recommend a pair of SCOTT with built in subwoofer driver cones and top, top sound quality. Look the Bizz and give out a very respectable 300 Watts RMS each. You won't even have to spend £600 These retail at £279.99 at argos and are well worth the money. Look into them buddy

3. Bobby Luvin

Bobby Luvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: If you want top quality floorstanders then i would recommend a pair of SCOTT with built in subwoofer driver cones and top, top sound quality. Look the Bizz and give out a very respectable 300 Watts RMS each. You won't even have to spend £600 These retail at £279.99 at argos and are well worth the money. Look into them buddy :smashin:

4. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,580
    Wallzy, are you looking for just a pair or a full 5.1 setup?
    Floorstanders or stand mounters?

5. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    just a pair of floor standers the rest of the speakers will have its own buget

thanks wallzy

6. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    bump ^^^^^

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The Quad 21L's would be lurrrvly :) You should be able to haggle the price closer to £600. They are quite neutral too, so won't colour the sound, you don't want an overly bright speaker with a Pioneer amp.

Monitor Audio do some good speakers in that price range too, but might be a bit too bright. Don't dismiss Dali, I think Dali's would suit the Pioneer well as they should iron out any brightness and reign in the attacking nature of the 1014 (only if you feel it needs reigning in of course :) ). If you like the attacking sound, then the Quads would step out of the way and let you listen to it :).

Wharfdale Evo 30's could also be an option (haggle down again :) ), and also the KEF Q7's.

8. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I agree the quads sound lovely - had a great demo of them a while ago, but the Wharfedale evo 30's are cracking. Designed by the same team as the quads, not quite as detalied but have a decent dynamic range and can pick out a tune wonderfully. I am a KEF fan, but found the q7's not so good for stereo - although more than up to a home cinema role.

I listen to everything from the RHCP to Mozart and the evo's play them all very well. If you want the best out of a stereo set up, a separate stereo amp is worth it. If its for occasional listening then the current amp you have is perfect.

9. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  10. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously I wanna plug the monitor audio silver S series. I didn't find them overly bright, but its all about personal preference I suppose. With the new RS series due out quite soon you might be able to get a pair of S8s for around £600 if you haggle well! And they rock!!!

11. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    however.. maybe I shouldn't say they wouldn't be bright with your pioneer amp, when I haven't heard them with it... :blush:

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The S8's and AE's are great speakers in their own right, but my personal opinion would be that they would be too bright with the pioneer, it may become tiresome after a while. Unless you like that kind of sound of course.

Bet those S8's sound awesome with the Arcam though :D Great combo

13. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, you're probably right. I don't really know much compatibility between certain models. Haven't got enough experience yet ;)

Afraid I only have the S6s which I picked up for £400 (Haggled rather hard!)
    But I do love them like part of the family :cool:

14. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for your input im going to have a look at the speakers mentioned above and will let you know were i go from there

would any one recomend the b&w DM603 S3
    thanks

wallzy

15. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 602S3 often gets referred to as better value for money.. It is alot cheaper. but it lacks that extra bass driver (although it sounds really great without it!)

Try them both out. I wasn't hugely keen on the finish of the 600 series, but I was VERY impressed by the sound.

16. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The 603's are good, but not (in my opinion) in the same class as the Quad, MA or Whardales mentioned already, I would say give the Dali's a listen too if you can.

17. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed. While I was really impressed by the B&Ws, I was more impressed by the MAs. Hence I bought them ;)

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Castle Severn - good floorstanders