1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for around £400 - £500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tristan, Oct 26, 2000.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my system to DTS/DD5.1 and have decided to go for the Yamaha A5 amp. What I'd really like to know from you guys is a recommendation of speakers to go with this for around £400 - £500. I currently have a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis One speakers and would hope to incorporate them into the system. I had thought of using the AEs as fronts, with Tannoy MX1s as rears, a Tannoy cente and the Tannoy sub. Would this work? I also would be interested to know whether a subwoofer would sound too loud in a fairly small room (4m by 3m). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you're gonna use your current Aegis 1's then buy a 2nd pair for the rears, a centre for the centre, and then get a sub. Total cost about £600, though you should be able to find a dealer who can do it for £500-ish.

I bought the Aegis sub last week and it has changed my life.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. Tristan

Tristan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. What did the sub cost you and where did you get it? I probably would think that the AEs would be a little expensive as you don't seem to be able to get them online at too good a price. Do you think the Tannoy option would sound unbalanced?

4. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't discount the AEs.
    I have AE109's as mains, with AE 107 Centre and 108S Sub (with eltax rears).

They really do sound great. Clean with a little warmth with detail that does not tire.

The centre is only about £150, the mains £350 I think. The sub goes for £250 but for that you get 150W of lovely low bass from a nice solid box.

No one does deals on them in mags because AE don't do discounts. You can get a discount from a hi fi stor like Radfords, but this usually ends up in the form of cable and interconnects etc.

I'm very happy (with music too) so there you are.!

Cheers M8

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tristan,

With the AE Aegis mains, I'd go for the Aegis
    centre to sonically match the mains. The Tannoy centre won't be the same sonically and you may notice different tonal changes and sound level.

for rears and sub it's your choice. I have the Mission 77ds surrounds (dipole) and a Yamaha YST90 (100watt) sub. The surround were
    £199 and the sub was £139. Both sound brilliant. I've got AE 109 mains and 107 centre and the AEs are really nice speakers both for music and movies.

At the end of the day, it's your choice but definately go for a matching centre as the mains.

Good luck
    Dan

6. Tristan

Tristan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dan/Dodgey. I think I probably will go for the Aegis centre and possibly use the Tannoy's as rears. The subwoofer is the next dilema.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I also recommend to buy a matching center only even though it might cost a little bit more.
    This should also apply to the rears but if you need to cut cost you may get away with other models / other brands.

A subwoofer is a necessary addition to a proper AV setup and hence highly recommended, as well don't try to save too much else it will be a wasted investment.