1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for Arcam A75+

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by erbl, May 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. erbl

erbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have brought an Arcam A75+ amplifier to build a system round.
    Right now i am going to hook up Apple Air Tunes but eventually i will buy a CD player (probably the CD73T) and probably get a van den hull the bay interconnect.

This to me seems fine and i have not got a problem with this part of the set up.

The problem is i need to buy some speakers as i am fed up of using by rubbish ones i have now. I will probably get QED silever cable in bi wire so i have been mainly looking at bi wire speakers (my plan eventually is to bi amp probably using the Arcam P80)
    Now i have sort of narrowed the speakers down to 3 choices, the room is not big so they are all book shelf speakers (floor standers would just swamp the room). My choices so far are the Quad 11L which can not be over looked i feel, the problem i have is that they are very true and some of my recordings are of bad quality (but not many of them). I am also looking at the Epos M5 which seem to have great reviews and are easier to get. I can deffinatly audition these before buying where i am not sure if i can with the Quads.
    The 3rd choice is Wharfedale Evo 10's. This is partly down to the price just being reduced to £170ish. I have hard they are warm and the warmth of the Arcam could make them too warm.

So what do you think, what speakers will suit and is it worth trying out the Wharfedales. Is there any speakers i am missing?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

2. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should try some PMC´s.

Tried PMC GB1 on A90 this sunday sounded great :)

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    THe Epos M5s are great speakers, if you can stretch your budget get a good budget subwoofer to go with them like the REL Stampede or REL Strata 5, makes an awesome combination.

4. erbl

erbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the very quick replys.
    I have had a look at the PMC's but think they are a bit out of budget but the main thing is i can not find a shop to pick them up locally. Unfortunatly this means i am going to discount them.
    Crustyloafer - I am glad you said the Epos as these are going to be the easiest to audition. I think i will go this week end to check them out. Any other sugestions are welcome.

5. erbl

erbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went and had a listen to both the Epos M5 and the Quad 11L. In the end i went for the Quads. They seem to push forward more emotion, probably becuase of how they can show up any little variations in voice and acustics. Listening to violins (which i never really did before) reveals more then i ever thought possable.
    I did find the m5 a worthy listen, they seem to be more accurate on the very top end but i thought they could get a bit tiering to listen to over long periods. The highs could just be down to the speakers not being warmed up properly and not being run in fully though.
    I was very shocked to find that getting my speakers in the room at home made them sound fantastic even though they are not run in and right now not on stands. If they are this good now i can not wait untill they are on stands and the propper distance apart