Speakers for an ipod

Happytab

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use these - JBL Creature II - they seem like a good price but are they any good with the ipod ?

Thanks for your help.

Happytab said:
Does anyone use these - JBL Creature II - they seem like a good price but are they any good with the ipod ?

Thanks for your help.

I use them with my Sony HD5 in my room and they are absolutely great for their price and catogory. And no, be glad it doesn't have a dock - it is much more versatile this way. Why must everything have a bloody iPod dock? I find that totally unfair as it will only be compatible with iPod - now anybody can use it for anything - you can plug it into your cd Walkman, DAP, tape Walkman (if there are any left in the world), laptop, pc, Mac, PSP etc. etc. etc.

You'll see that they can go very loud (for their size) and that just sticking it into your headphone jack on the iPod will be fine for most uses -

Let us know how you get on :) :)

The reason I mentioned the dock is the OP asked about speakers for an ipod :).
As the dock connector gives a better quality line output than just using the headphone output it means you need to buy a dock/dock connected accessory to get the best out of the speakers.
It's also handy being able to drop the iPod into the dock to charge not fart around connecting audio and the charger.

I appreciate for a non Apple player it's irrelevant but the guy asked about an iPod - perhaps the music player manufacturers could get together and agree a connection standard :rotfl:

AMc said:
The reason I mentioned the dock is the OP asked about speakers for an iPod/ :).
As the dock connector gives a better quality line output than just using the headphone output it means you need to buy a dock/dock connected accessory to get the best out of the speakers.
It's also handy being able to drop the iPod into the dock to charge not fart around connecting audio and the charger.

I appreciate for a non Apple player it's irrelevant but the guy asked about an iPod - perhaps the music player manufacturers could get together and agree a connection standard :rotfl:

Well...Yes and No. He asked about the iPod, but he also suggested the JBL Creatures himself, asking and I quote: "Does anybody use these - JBL Creature II - they seem like a good price are they any good with the iPod"

From that I take that he knew pretty well they were versatile multimedia speakers and it was exactely for that reason that he wondered whether they would be good with an iPod.

I think there are many more people who use them as speakers for their pc's than for their DAP's (as they are sold in computer stores) - so they would have slit their own throats if they made them iPod only... :)

P.S. Why don't you write a letter to Steve 'It's All About The Music' Jobs and ask him why they don't just take a leaf out of Sony's book and stick a line out option on the iPod so you don't have to bother so much with constantly needing a dock here and a dock there...

AMc said:
They're good - they'd be better for an iPod if they had a dock connector. That was all I was trying to say - have a lovely day!

Fair enough... :)

I just think you can say it the other way round - that the iPod would have been better for the JBL's if it had a line out option... :) :devil:

P.S. I'm sorry but I'm sure you understand that non-iPod owners despise how Apple simply annexed the DAP world. That is all good and well, but with the wealth of iPod accessories out there I don't understand how the few things that are compatible with other DAP's should be Apple only too...

So - in summary - when the handbags have been returned to the old ladies - they are ok speakers then ?

Anyone had the oppurtunity to try or demo the new Philips ones available for £50-60 from amp3.co.uk, dixons etc?

Happytab said:
So - in summary - when the handbags have been returned to the old ladies - they are ok speakers then ?

They are permanently plugged into my PC - but I plug them into my HD5 every now and again - so yeah, in summary they are great! Oh and JBL's warranty is great too - I once thought there was a problem (ehrm, yes thought and that is a long and embarrasing story all by it self involving some magnetic interference which prevented the touch buttons to work properly...ahem...) and they swapped them over after having had them for 6 months no problem!

As it states 6W, I presume its a lot louder than normal portable speakers?

Actually how portable is it?

Any distortion when you turn volume up?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
LFC_SL said:
As it states 6W, I presume its a lot louder than normal portable speakers?

Actually how portable is it?

Any distortion when you turn volume up?

They go very loud considering their size. I would say they are very portable.

At full volume plugged into my HD5 on line out there is no distortion, they seem to be a bit crackly as the battery starts to die though, although that might be my imagination. Battery life is very good, I got 15 hours playing back near full volume when I first bought them.

They take 6 AAAs, probably best to buy some rechargeables. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom