Speakers for an AVC-A10SE?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rigid, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still can't quite believe it, but I've recently become the owner of a 1yr old AVC-A10SE. Since this is my first AV amp I don't have the speakers yet. What would you folk recommend as suitable partners for this particular amp? I always imagined myself with a £450-£500 amp and a set of budget Tannoys or Missions, but I think this Denon deserves more.

I knew I would regret getting rid of my old copies of Home Cinema Choice and What HiFi? eventually...!

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Without a budget, or room size it is difficult to recommend with certainty (and your tastes may not be mine!), but her it goes:

The new KEF Q series is very good, and look well worth their asking price. Look for the Q1 and decent stands, or Q3 along with the funky centre, 9c. In my opinion the larger Q's are boomy, and don't justify their extra cost.

A lot of people like B&W, especially the 600 series stand mounts. I haven't heard them, myself, but people I know have recommended them.

If you can find them at a reasonable price, they sometimes crop up in ex-dem deals or 2nd hand, the Castle Harlech and Keep are very good indeed. If you like listening to CD's, they are surprisingly agile for such a large speaker, and aren't too bad for home cinema either.

Don't go for budget stuff, like the Tannoy Mx, Mission m7x, or the KEF Cresta/Coda ranges. Your amp is up to much better than that. Also, try to get a decent sub as soon as you can afford it. This doesn't mean one of the overpriced REL subs; MJ Acoustics have been getting a good press, as have VIBE.

Russell

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [FACT]

The difference between most decent 'budget' speakers and the more costly variety is often mostly in the looks dept, soundwise the difference is rarely more than negligible.

[/FACT]

I'd seriously consider the Richer Sounds Mission 77 pack (in Rosewood finish @ £379.99 - instead of £799.99 - (comprising a pair of floorstanding fronts, a triple-tweeter centre, and 77DS bipole rears) and delight yourself in what you saved. If you have the room get the (also-matching) 771e as a monopole rear for your music mode "surround B" speaker set.

If you want even more rears for ES/EX then either the 771e or the 77DS are ideal, depending on your circs.

If you lust for bass then get a sub. It'll all serve you well for years and years...

Bingo, you're there.

Mike.

4. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, chaps. I've actually had a REL Q50 for over three years, rigged up to an old stereo amp and a pair of Mission 731is. I'm sure that sub will always be good enough in my average-sized living room. I must admit, I like the sound of the Missions, but my hi fi speakers are a pair of 16 year old Mordaunt Short MS100 Golds and they have a far superior midrange. Since I want ultimately to merge the hi fi and home cinema, with the Denon at the heart of it, maybe I will need to look upmarket, Mike.

5. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing, the Kef 'Eggs' would definitely solve the space problems posed by getting full-sized floor standers either side of the TV. Would they be a reasonable match for the Denon or too much of a compromise? A couple of weeks ago I was quite comfortable with the thought of compromise, but that was before the Denon...!

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Rigid,

The AVC-A10SE is a good amp and deserves decent speakers to be heard at its best...

I use the Mission 78 Series (782 fronts, 78c centre and bipole 78DS rears)...sounds great with movies...but as the 10SE and 782's are good for hi-fi music I can still enjoy normal stereo...

Maybe other brands would be better for AV, but I chose the missions as they are good with both music AND AV...

JJ

7. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this combination sold as the Cinema 8 package or did you buy separately?

I REALLY like the look of the Monitor Audio Silver Series (5i fronts, etc), but both HCC and What HiFi suggest they only start performing when the volume is way up. Anyone care to comment?

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I bought separately - stared with 782's and then added 78C and 78DS's when they came out...

www.mission.co.uk

JJ

9. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JJ, nice looking speakers! Thanks for the link. I must admit, I've owned a pair of the little Mission 731i bookshelf speakers for about 5 years now and I do like the sound. What I want to avoid is a bright or harsh sound with music. How do you find the balance with the 10SE and the 782s?

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I think the balance is pretty good, I often see people posting with Denon/Mission combos.

You know this anyway, but you need to demo really...in the meantime have a look here:

http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_read.asp?GroupID=1180&ArticleID=1189

Once I got the 10SE to go with the 782's (had Audiolab pre/power combo before) I had to change my CD analogue interconnects and speakers cable to get a better "balance" and tailor the music to my liking ;)

I now use a Nordost Solarwind interconnect with Van Den Hul CS122 speaker cable - sounds cool :D

Like I said, I went for Denon/Mission as I think they do the dual purpose music/AV thing quite well...

JJ

11. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to go on, but what was the balance like before you changed your interconnects? I've got an old (make that 'really old') pair of Chord Company interconnects and equally aged QED 79 strand cable. I'd be looking for an overall warm, easy balance tonally. BTW, do you use the THX button on the amp? Do you find it cuts down on extreme treble?