Speakers for an AV setup

barrybarryr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im a newbie and need help!

Im looking for a set of speakers for an AV setup, I have about £200 to spend on them, does any one have any suggestions of what might be worthwhile buying?

Also Im gonna ask a really dumb question now, I have an av receiver which I want to power the speakers but some packages have built in amps. Can i buy these and link them up or not?

Im quite confused? Can someone help?

Thanks

Barrybarryr

depends on reciever but generallly not. Best deal by far is Canton CD1 imported from germany for £250 have a search a few people have been doing this.. £500 retail in uk!
What receiver is it you have? Other choices are Tannoy FX5.1 MS premiere perhaps celestions or pascal second hand maybe even old kef eggs

Its kind of a problem when you live in penzance, Cornwall and the nearest hifi place is 84 miles away in Plymouth

I would go for Mordaunt Short Premiere. They are less than half price here www.hificonfidential.com. I had these and theyre superb value for money.

Thats if you want a small speaker setup.

I think that the Aego 5 are for use if you don't have an AV amp as it seems to have amplification built in.

From the Superfi site I would look closely at either the Elac Cinema 1 system at £200 or preferably the KEF Coda system at £260 or the Wharfedale Diamond Plus at £270 which are probably a lot better even without a subwoofer which can be added at a later date

Am at the same point as you,trying to decide on a suitable speaker package.
Quite like the Canton CD1 but would prefer to buy british so am tempted by the Mordaunt Short Premier range and have also noticed the Mission offer on your link.

Decisions,decisions :rolleyes:

Its really confusing for a newbie to buy av and hifi equipment.

Can anyone answer the following question. I have a Yamaha RXV 350 which the stats say powers speakers (not sure if this is the correct term) at 6 ohms. most speakers I see are 4 or 8 ohms which ones can i use? Can I use either or should I use one over the other?

Does anyone know the name of company or website where I can import the Canton CD1's from at the price mentioned in an earlier post?

www.digitalo.de look to be the cheapest I can find the CD1's for 297 Euros, the problem is that I cant read German and I cant fill in the registration form!

I can guess most of it but cant guess all of it! Arrrgggghhhhh how annoying.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom