Speakers for against a wall

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I currently have a Quad Vena 2 (Play) paired with some Oberon 5's which I am really happy with from a sound perspective, however the speakers being away from the wall is causing logistical issues with the TV, wife, kids etc. I can't really put them right up against the wall as it impacts the sound too much. Just a thought right now but does anybody have any suggestions for any speakers, bookshelf or floor standing that can be placed pretty much against the wall? Budget probably up to £1000. Happy to buy used but would prefer new.

Thanks

Did the Oberon's come with foam port bungs. If so, try pushing them back and add the bungs to reduced the bass boom a bit. If not, then try some rolled up socks or a rolled up tea towel, you may be able to tune it, tighter roll will reduced bass more theoretically. Worth a try for free.

Also worth noting that Dail usually specify the speakers are point straight out into the room (no toe in) which should be OK for closer to the wall aesthetically.

if not you could try the Dali Menuet (SH) and a BK P12 subwoofer or front ported or sealed floor standers.

Spotted these Triangle Speakers, reading a bit suggestes they are designed to be close to the wall and at an rrp of £2.5k these seem to fit the bill but obviously an audition or sale or return is the best way to tell.

These Spendors are sealed units.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks very much, will take a look. The Dali's didn't come with bungs actually but i will have a look at ordering some. I don't toe them in as you say, Dali's aren't designed to be. To be honest they don't sound bad right against the wall but they lose some energy and bass booms a bit, certainly don't sound as good as when they are away from the wall.

Before you buy anything, the rolled up socks/towel will give you a good idea if bungs are going to help, start with loose roll and then tighten up or add more socks/towels - port looks pretty big so towel may be better. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Before you buy anything, the roled up socks/towel
Love it - been wondering what to do with my old socks - any bets on how long it takes for someone to ask whether the socks should be cotton or wool ? :rotfl:

Love it - been wondering what to do with my old socks - any bets on how long it takes for someone to ask whether the socks should be cotton or wool ? :rotfl:
I've heard if you use nylon socks it'll introduce severe static to your audio! 🤣🤣🤣....*

* Before anyone jumps in... I am of course joking! 🤣🤣🙊🤫

Before you buy anything, the rolled up socks/towel will give you a good idea if bungs are going to help, start with loose roll and then tighten up or add more socks/towels - port looks pretty big so towel may be better. Worth a try.
Tried some foam for the minute, actually does help quite a lot. Just not sure whether it's a good long term strategy. Don't suppose it can damage the speakers?

Tried some foam for the minute, actually does help quite a lot. Just not sure whether it's a good long term strategy. Don't suppose it can damage the speakers?
Unlikely to. Most manufacturers provide foam bungs for this very purpose. You can get different sized "universal" ones off "the Bay"

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi Guys

I currently have a Quad Vena 2 (Play) paired with some Oberon 5's which I am really happy with from a sound perspective, however the speakers being away from the wall is causing logistical issues with the TV, wife, kids etc. I can't really put them right up against the wall as it impacts the sound too much. Just a thought right now but does anybody have any suggestions for any speakers, bookshelf or floor standing that can be placed pretty much against the wall? Budget probably up to £1000. Happy to buy used but would prefer new.

Thanks
Use the same speakers my self. I use toe in. It helps with imaging, bass response. Dali is respected company, but I just don’t see why so many say they don’t need toe in. The cabinet, drivers gives excellent stereo imaging with out toe in because of Dali’s driver technology, still I recommend members to toe them towards to listing posting. Probably people are concerned also because the sound gets bright if you do this, in my room I have no such problems.

Use the same speakers my self. I use toe in. It helps with imaging, bass response. Dali is respected company, but I just don’t see why so many say they don’t need toe in. The cabinet, drivers gives excellent stereo imaging with out toe in because of Dali’s driver technology, still I recommend members to toe them towards to listing posting. Probably people are concerned also because the sound gets bright if you do this, in my room I have no such problems.
Interesting, i haven't really toe'd them in at all as it says not too in the DALI manual. Might give it a try. I have never had issues with them being bright, certainly not with the Quad amp anyway.

Interesting, i haven't really toe'd them in at all as it says not too in the DALI manual. Might give it a try. I have never had issues with them being bright, certainly not with the Quad amp anyway.
I’d toe in as a said. There’s many benefits. Less reflection from the sidewalls. Also put some Ikea butcher blocks under the speakers or similar options. This helps with the bass response.

In my opinion whether a manufacturer says no toe in because all this depends on sitting position. But it is true that DALI has a big soundstage even if you don’t use toe in. Still in my room it works best if I do the opposite.

Odd you should say that. A few days ago I bought some bamboo socks.

Surely these are the way forward...bamboo is the new port stuffer.

Apparently Sonus Faber can be placed against the wall because the bass port is placed under the speakers. Sealed speakers are probably the best alternatives. Those Spendor speakers sure look nice.

Secure the speakers to the floor.

Stitch under carpet. Allow 24hrs to stick to wood.

Ripped the plaster of my ceiling.

Excel wall bounce calculator.

Cotton of course. You don't want a woolly sound.:D

I'd look at sealed box speakers, NHT or something like that

Fyne speakers could work because of the down firing bass port placed under the speakers. Graham Audio has some sealed speakers also.

Try self adhesive sorbothane damping feet where the plinth is located. There are many too chose from-not expensive also.
Sonic Design, even washing damping feet’s work. Edit, it appears I mentioned damping feet’s in my earlier post. Any way perhaps it helps.

Or perhaps the Lyngdorf 1120 may resolve the bass response.

Last edited:
:offtopic: THE RACE IS DECIDED Awards in the Ugg10lympics 2021

🏆 Goes to Ugg10 for inspiring the event with an excellent money saving suggestion.
Also Eco Award.

Event announced by
Love it - been wondering what to do with my old socks - any bets on how long it takes for someone to ask whether the socks should be cotton or wool ?
Medal Table

🥇 Gold
Cotton of course. You don't want a woolly sound.
And the winner of the Gold Medal is @Mark.Yudkin :clap:🥇

🥈Silver
I've heard if you use nylon socks it'll introduce severe static to your audio! 🤣🤣🤣....*

* Before anyone jumps in... I am of course joking! 🤣🤣🙊

🥉Bronze with an Eco Award
Odd you should say that. A few days ago I bought some bamboo socks.

Surely these are the way forward...bamboo is the new port stuffer.

Special thanks to @Steve356 for verifying the result.

Nice to have our own hifi Olympics. Now the national anthem blasts from the speakers.

:offtopic:
Nice to have our own hifi Olympics. Now the national anthem blasts from the speakers.
Feel a bit naughty for hijacking the thread - so after this I'll stop. No honestly Gibbsy :nono: I will I promise.

Happy to take PMs on any ideas for future events. Or maybe have a seperate thread ?

Just picking up on this thread to say that I’ve had success in the past by tuning bass ports with a collection of different sized drinking straws, cut to length and held together by tape. Could be worth a try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom