Speakers for a home pc - please help!

kenadauk

Standard Member
Hi,
This is a long post with a few questions, so apologies in advance. Basically, I am building a PC that plays blu ray, hddvd, pc games and all my music. Equipment will consist of the PC, a 360 elite, a virgin media box (not v+) and a samsung 32" r87 tv.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You need to delete one or the other of our duplicate posts, otherwise the Moderators will do it for you. If you do it yourself, you can control which one is deleted. Likely the Mods will delete one at random.

Since people have responded to this one, I suggest you keep it and add the extra information from your other post, as a new post in this thread.

Steve/bluewizard

kenadauk

Standard Member
Heres my original post - not sure what happened there?!

Hi,
This is a long post with a few questions, so apologies in advance. Basically, I am building a PC that plays blu ray, hddvd, pc games and all my music. Equipment will consist of the PC, a 360 elite, a virgin media box (not v+) and a samsung 32" r87 tv.
the pc will connect to the tv via dvi, the xbox by hdmi, and the v box by scart. basically, i need a sound system that will output from the tv for when using the virgin box and the 360 (unless i can use the optical out option on the xbox) and from the pc when using that, as the dvi on my video card will not carry sound. the problem is, if i use an amp, and connect the tv to it via rca, and the pc and xbox via optical, when i use the tv and the pc, i will get output from the tv AND the pc, rendering any surround sound useless. and if i use a simple two or three speaker setup with a sub, that connects through rca, i will have to change the rcas to the tv or pc alternately. ideally, i would like 5.1 surround through optical, but this is expensive (bearing in mind the cost of the pc). again, sorry for the length, i am just at my wits end, as this is the only problem stopping me starting this project right now.

NB - could be possible to get a graphics card that does dvi with audio, but i would still like opinions if possible, as the pc case im getting comes with its own mini monitor for fan monitoring, playing music etc. with the use of a monitor, and as im using a hdtv, would be wasteful to have to turn that on just to listen to some music

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

A good starter system http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/542070/art/yamaha/av-3101-home-cinema-syste.html it has two optical and one co-ax input plus a direct 5.1 input which is ideal for PC's.

DVI has never and will never carry audio. You always have to connect the audio separately.

All video connections direct to TV.
XBOX optical to AV amp
PC to AV amp via direct 5.1 (3x http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=31700&doy=16m1)
Virgin box to AV amp via a twin phono audio connection (stereo only but set AV amp to Dolby pro logic to get all speakers running), if you get V+ then use a optical connection.
Tv to AV amp via a twin phono audio connection (stereo only but set AV amp to Dolby pro logic to get all speakers running) If your TV has optical out DO NOT WASTE this type of connection on a link to the TV as it is only stereo out.

kenadauk

Standard Member
cheers andy.
my budget is low - very low. that budget system is within it, being as if i want this then my budget must be around 250ish. went to my local sound and vision shop today - they have a similar setup to that yamaha one, but a sony, for 250. the amp unit isnt as large, so that is an upside, and theyll chuck in a pair of speaker stands for the satelittes for 45 quid, so think ill go for that. as for your suggestions, thank you so much! i do have a few problems still tho. basically, the v box has no audio out options other than the scart, so it would have to go to the tv and go through the tv's phono connection to the amp, which is fine. secondly, i dont know if you know (i dont) but my 360 (elite) comes with a dongle that gives optical out, but i dont know whether if this in use, does it cease to send audio over the hdmi to the tv? and if it doesnt, will the tv be passing this audio through to the amp, creating a double signal? or with these sound systems, do you have to choose which input you want? and thirdly, why 3 of the leads from maplin? i wont get a sound card for the pc, as the sound is on the motherboard, and is generally advertised as HD audio - so does it have 3 audio outputs as i cant tell from the descriptions or photos of boards? I realise PCs arent the topic on these forums, so sorry if that was the wrong thing to ask.

anyway, again, sorry for the long post and ill put a link to the sony kit once i find it. - here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HTSS1100-5-1Home-Theatre-System/dp/B000OQ5OR4

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom