Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speakers for 6.1 set-up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GoldFish, Feb 5, 2003.

1. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am in the market for 6x satellite speakers for upgrading my existing HC/HiFi set-up.
    Amp is a Yammy 730 and sub is Paradigm 1000.
    Budget is 2K max...
    Use 50/50 for music and films
    Room size : small (12ftx15ft)

A little bit of the history info of my set-up which might help in speaker selections

1990 – JPW AP2 (large size bookshelf speaker) used with Musical Fidelity A1 amp purely for music

1995 – Add Paradigm 1000 sub to shake the room for some NICAM TV viewing. Enter the realm of HC… got a Yammy 590 with DPL, added 3 JPW Gold monitors for front center and rears. Quite disappointed with the music performance to be honest and DPL was quite a let down.

2002- finally got some spare cash to update my HC, after extensive research and demos, I got myself a new Yammy 730. now I would like to complete my 6.1 set-up for the HC room and re-use my old AP2 for analogue music in the spare room.

2003 – Could I have your recommendations / advices for the speakers please.

Many thanks

Tan

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,817
    Hi

How about some B&W 600 Series 3 HERE or maybe even their CM range HERE Both are easy loads for your amplifier.

Also worth having a look at Kefs Q Range HERE or even their XQ Range HERE again both are easy loads for your amplifier.:)

3. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase for the links, but I was thinking of venturing to the smaller satellite speakers..... 6x Gallos Balls... hmm M&K perhaps just not so sure how much of a compromise on SQ to have unobtrusive speakers.

Tan

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,817
    Ah, even smaller satellites.:) The Gallos do seem very well thought of (not heard them myself though). M&K speakers are of course excellent :) but most of them are 4 ohms impedance so may present a problem to your amp if you like to wind it up a bit. Only 8 ohm impedance satellite speakers in the M&K range are the Xenon LCR25 and LCR45, not sure if they are available in the UK yet.

5. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yammy 730 have a speaker load selector at the back for 4 ohm and 8 ohm.... Don't think it is a problem.

Since then I'm also looking at the small PROACs

Tan