1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers for 6.1 set-up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GoldFish, Feb 5, 2003.

1. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am in the market for 6x satellite speakers for upgrading my existing HC/HiFi set-up.
    Amp is a Yammy 730 and sub is Paradigm 1000.
    Budget is 2K max...
    Use 50/50 for music and films
    Room size : small (12ftx15ft)

A little bit of the history info of my set-up which might help in speaker selections

1990 – JPW AP2 (large size bookshelf speaker) used with Musical Fidelity A1 amp purely for music

1995 – Add Paradigm 1000 sub to shake the room for some NICAM TV viewing. Enter the realm of HC… got a Yammy 590 with DPL, added 3 JPW Gold monitors for front center and rears. Quite disappointed with the music performance to be honest and DPL was quite a let down.

2002- finally got some spare cash to update my HC, after extensive research and demos, I got myself a new Yammy 730. now I would like to complete my 6.1 set-up for the HC room and re-use my old AP2 for analogue music in the spare room.

2003 – Could I have your recommendations / advices for the speakers please.

Many thanks

Tan

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Hi

How about some B&W 600 Series 3 HERE or maybe even their CM range HERE Both are easy loads for your amplifier.

Also worth having a look at Kefs Q Range HERE or even their XQ Range HERE again both are easy loads for your amplifier.:)

3. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase for the links, but I was thinking of venturing to the smaller satellite speakers..... 6x Gallos Balls... hmm M&K perhaps just not so sure how much of a compromise on SQ to have unobtrusive speakers.

Tan

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Ah, even smaller satellites.:) The Gallos do seem very well thought of (not heard them myself though). M&K speakers are of course excellent :) but most of them are 4 ohms impedance so may present a problem to your amp if you like to wind it up a bit. Only 8 ohm impedance satellite speakers in the M&K range are the Xenon LCR25 and LCR45, not sure if they are available in the UK yet.

5. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yammy 730 have a speaker load selector at the back for 4 ohm and 8 ohm.... Don't think it is a problem.

Since then I'm also looking at the small PROACs

Tan